Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Has anyone removed the 10mm travel reducer from the Fox Float fork?

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  sirkrameroy 
#1 ·
Although I like the 120mm, I don't like the fact that this is a 130mm fork with a 10mm travel reducer inside of it. I would much rather have the extra 10mm and lower my stem on the steerer tube.

#6 ·
In my case it did change the geo. added an inch bet. the crown and axle. Headtube angle is less steep. But I figure for the new specialized bikes that come w/ the rock shox u-turn height adjustment on the fly. They encourage you to lengthen or shorten the shock anyways, depending on terrain.

#12 ·
For those that don't know or are confused about what the spacer does:

The Fox Float RL fork on the 06 Stumpy comes from Specialized with a 10mm spacer installed to limit the travel to 120mm. This is a 130mm fork though. The spacer can be removed (see the link below for instructions) to get the full 130mm. I prefer a higher front end and I have already raised the stem to it's maximum height on the steerer tube.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=298618

#13 ·
That makes sense. My frame is an '06 S-works Stumpy 120, but all my running gear came from an '05 Enduro so the fork is a Float 130 and I don't have the washer. Maybe I can get it from Fox.

This bike is great but for hard climbing its a little too wheelie prone. I could get a cheap adjustable travel fork but I like the Float and setting it at 120 would help a little.

#14 ·
OK who has the balls to do this? My front fork creaks when I turn it all the way from one side to the other (after a Downieville trip in which the air pressure had fallen to 10) but doesnt seem to really be a problem. I am thinking, however, to remove the spacer and at the same time hopefully the creakamabob will go away.

Does anyone have clear diagram of this fork? The info on the other link is very sparse. I want to see all the pieces and parts that make it up, and how they're connected, etc.

#15 ·
NoBalance said:
OK who has the balls to do this? My front fork creaks when I turn it all the way from one side to the other (after a Downieville trip in which the air pressure had fallen to 10) but doesnt seem to really be a problem. I am thinking, however, to remove the spacer and at the same time hopefully the creakamabob will go away.

Does anyone have clear diagram of this fork? The info on the other link is very sparse. I want to see all the pieces and parts that make it up, and how they're connected, etc.
I had my LBS remove the spacer from my Rock Shox Recon taking it from 100 to 130mm. Cost me $30 and two days of waiting. Well worth it. I had the diagram from SRAM's website, but really did not care to mess with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.