Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Aussie Battler
    Sep 2005

has anybody else broken their 2005 enduro?

i broke my lower chain stay last night on my 2005 enduro pro. anybody else had this problem?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes. Take a look here--> Am I one of the first to break one of these...

I found mine when it was still just a hairline crack at the weld. Specialized is pretty good sending out replacements. I took mine in on a Monday evening and it was ready by Friday at noon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yes. But I noticed the crack on the inside of the left chainstay (right along the weld) before it broke.

The replacement chainstay seemed identical to the one that broke.

I recommend keeping an eye on this area if you are an aggressive rider.

Aussie Battler
    Sep 2005
    thanks guys. i have sent photos to speci. wait and see what happens i guess.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnold
    I'll tell you exactly what will happen. Specialized will tell you to deal with them through a dealer. I would just head there tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    i broke my lower chain stay last night on my 2005 enduro pro.
    How would you describe your riding-style?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Replacement chainstay

My 05 Enduro chainstays broke again. This time I didn't notice any cracks yet it looks like the picture above (failure of both sides at the weld).

Does anyone know if the replacements are beefier than the original? Or is the SX trail chainstay different (for 05)? If so I would like to ask for an upgraded version.

Thanks.

evilbanks

Let us know

Please post an update as things progress.............
    twitter.com/evilbanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    Does anyone know if the replacements are beefier than the original? Or is the SX trail chainstay different (for 05)? If so I would like to ask for an upgraded version.

Thanks.
    There is a gusseted version - I think it's OE on the 07 SXT

The Other Dude
    Yeah, they put an gusset on the 07 SX Trails, here it is:

I wonder if they will start putting those on all of the enduro chainstays. I would also go right to your dealer, they will take care of it for you, and if need be, that is where the specialized warrenty rep will most likely want to check over the bike if specialized needs more than you shops word for approval.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    I doubt they will allow you to upgrade. We just had a customer who snapped an old Sworks aluminum road frame at the chainstay, and they sent him a new one. They wouldn't allow him to upgrade to a Tarmac frame... Lame! The only reason they still have these Alum. frames is warranty... But, they still did replace it, brand new. Kinda nice lookin frame, too.

The Other Dude
    Sorry i guess what i said came out wrong, i was wondering if the added gussets to the warranty chainstays.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the pictures! It can't hurt to ask if I can get a beefier version.

The chainstay has to be sent to Specialized from BC and my shop expects a 2-3 week turnaround. I'll let you know how it turns out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Specialized came through and gave me the burlier SX trail version with the extra gusset as shown above. Thank you Specialized!

Track Junkie
    I also broke my chainstay on my '05 Enduro Pro, less than a week before the Sea Otter Classic. I took the bike to a Specialized "Concept" store, NorCal Bike Sport in Santa Rosa, CA. I took the bike in on Wednesday morning, and had the replacement installed by the close of business on Friday. I think it's identical to the one I broke, not the beefier version. But the fast turn-around time made it worthwile.

Here are a few pics of the broken one. Notice how the break followed each inner weld almost perfectly.

-Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I get paid to ride shotgun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Octane
    I also broke my chainstay on my '05 Enduro Pro, less than a week before the Sea Otter Classic. I took the bike to a Specialized "Concept" store, NorCal Bike Sport in Santa Rosa, CA. I took the bike in on Wednesday morning, and had the replacement installed by the close of business on Friday. I think it's identical to the one I broke, not the beefier version. But the fast turn-around time made it worthwile.

Here are a few pics of the broken one. Notice how the break followed each inner weld almost perfectly.

-Brad
    So they warrantied it even though the chainstays are only supposed to be coverd for 1 year? That's good to hear.

Track Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBidnezz
    So they warrantied it even though the chainstays are only supposed to be coverd for 1 year? That's good to hear.
    I didn't know that the chainstays are only warrantied for 1 year. I thought that a "Lifetime frame warranty" covered the whole frame (according to the '05 manual). Why would the chainstays (or frame) be covered for only 1 year?

IIRC - they changed their warranty for the 06 or 07 models eliminating the "lifetime warranty" deal (I think, I could be wrong).

-Brad
    I get paid to ride shotgun.

mtbr member
    rear chainstays are 'moving parts' ie, their suspension. so it's not covered. I know, lame... at least thats what i heard...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Both my 06 and 04 warranties show lifetime on the main frame, but just 1 year on the rear. I have an 04 Demo, and know that there were some issues with the rear shock mount. Unfortunately the manual shows just 1 year on it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    wow, i always thought that the warranty was on the frame, which should include the chainstay since if you buy a frame, the chainstay is part of the package.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    chris - you say you got the SX trail stays - are these the exact same size as the enduro rear end? is the geometry difference in the linkages? Just want to know should the worst happen that there is a burlier part available that will cure it.

Thanks to anyone who answers my questions

Martin

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    MartinRo - the sx trail chainstay I received is the same dimensions as the 05 or 06 enduro chainstay. The only difference are the new gussets. I imagine the seatstay is the same and it's the shock link and shock that make the sx trail longer travel. SX trail owners will know.

It's a good idea to keep an eye on this area.
    Last edited by Chris; 05-07-2007 at 09:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthound
    wow, i always thought that the warranty was on the frame, which should include the chainstay since if you buy a frame, the chainstay is part of the package.
    If you read the documents they specify that the rear triangle on an FS frame is considered a "suspension component" thus technically 1 yr warranty. They do seem to be pretty good at ignoring that though, I've had a chainstay (99 fsr), seatstays ('99 and '02 FSR) and linkage (02 fsr) replaced at no charge at over a year from when I got the bikes.

Boomslang
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    MartinRo - the sx trail chainstay I received is the same dimensions as the 05 or 06 enduro chainstay. The only difference are the new gussets. I imagine the seatstay is the same and it's the shock link and shock that make the sx trail longer travel. SX trail owners will know.

It's a good idea to keep an eye on this area.
    Guys,

All replacement stays will have the gusset. The SX Trail and Enduro stays are identical and interchangeable. The only odd duck is the SX (slalom bike). It is shorter.

Jake Wake

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeWake
    Guys,

All replacement stays will have the gusset. The SX Trail and Enduro stays are identical and interchangeable. The only odd duck is the SX (slalom bike). It is shorter.

Jake Wake
    Thanks Jake.

The one thing that bothers me is the fact that due to the verbiage in the warranty if the chainstay breaks after a year I can technically be denied replacement even though it is a known issue. I have kind of have the same concerns about my 04 Demo that has a well documented shock stay cracking issue.

Anyway, small rant over. Hopefully I never have to try to utilize the warranty.

Thanks again for confirming.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast