Kiwi that Flew

Hardtail of Full Sussa?

Hi there,
    My mate is new to mountain biking and needs advice on whether to buy a hardtail (RockhopperCompDisc) or full suspension (FSR XC Comp).

Advice from the shop is that a hardtail will help him learn better trail skills and he should upgrade to FS in couple of years.

Whats the opinion on this advice?

Should he just get a full sussa?

All advice welcome...

local trails rider
    - HT gives better quality for the same money, or same quality for less money
    - HT has fewer things to set up and maintain
    - FS is more comfy and probably faster on rough trails but overkill on smooth ones
    - HT does force you to learn how to pick a good line through the rough stuff

- HT/FS (choose one or both) is sexy.

Kiwi that Flew
    Perttime,
    Thanks for your comments, some good points there.
    I guess the real question is "can someone learn mountain biking skills on a FS? "
    I learn on a HT and have rinding FS for 5 about years so can't really say.

The Other Dude
    My first bike was a full suspension, and i love it. With that being said, i came from a motocross background, so my riding style really involves the use of the suspenion. I really used the spring action from the rebound to overcome obstacles and and preload for jumps and pumping on the single track.

Another thing is that my knees are pretty much shot (the reason why i dont ride MX anymore) and the F/S bike keeps them feeling good.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net