mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Hardrock Sports Disc or base model Rockhopper???

Hey guys, I got it narrowed down to these two bike. I'm mostly going to use the bike for whatever the road offers and lightly rugged trails (no hardcore jumping stuff). I plan to go 15 miles a day. Which ones does you guys think would be the best for me? I'mplanning to spend around $500. Thanks

SSlow rider
    The Rockhopper has a better fork, and better derailleurs. The frame is probably lighter as well. I'd go with the Rockhopper over the Hardrock. FWIW, the discs on the Hardrock have a bad rep for their stopping prowess, dialed-in v-brakes ought to be as good or better than those discs.

BTW, I've got an '05 Hardrock Sport (non disc) and I like the bike a lot.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Ive got to vote for the Hardrock Pro. My Hardrock Pro is lighter than my wifes Rockhopper and my disk brakes arent the greatest but they stop quick and lock up the wheels if need be. You get Avid brakes on the '05 Hardrock Pro and they work well, better than the ones on the '04 that people complain about. The Hardrock is also 27speed with the Rockhopper being 24 if that matters to you. You should be able to get a good deal on an '05 now that the '06's are out.
    '04 Specialized Hardrock Pro Disk - SS Conversion: 175mm FMF BMX Crank w/Salsa 34x16, UN-73 BB, Eggbeaters, Pazzaz 2014 Stem, Bontrager Bar, Odi Ruffian lockons, LX Lever/Mech Disk, Nashbar SS hub/Mavic 217 SUP, 00' RS SID SL, Cane Creek S-2