mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Hardrock Sport Disk or Base Rockhopper

Close enough to the same price. Not sure what one to get. I am looking for my 1st bike but want a decent bike that will last a while.

http://planocycling.com/product/spec...er-57512-1.htm

http://planocycling.com/product/spec...sc-57510-1.htm

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Both are entry level, geared more towards comfort than performance. The Rockhopper has a lighter frame and will be a better upgrade platform if you think you'll be building up as you go. The discs and doublewalled rims would be a better on the Hardrock right out the store though.

Meh, my opinion atleast.

If I were you... I'd save for a higher trim level Rockhopper unless you want to ride now, in which case I'd go for the Hardrock.

I went for the Hardrock, don't regret it at all either.

mtbr member
    I'm currently going through this same dilemna.

mtbr member
    I would go for the RH for the M4 frame & a better rear derailleur. If you can, get the RH comp disc though. For an extra $150 better fork & disc brakes makes it a great entry level bike IMHO.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    always take a rockhopper over a hardrock if the money is close.
    xrc800 hit the nail on the head...with a rocky you've got the m4 frame, until a couple years ago that was what they used on stumpjumpers.
    over time you can swap-out components all you want but you build on the frame.
    good luck!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i just went through same thing a month ago, rode both...ended up getting a 11 hardrock sport disc. I liked the feel and the look of the hardrock better. Also wanted disc brakes right away. Eventually a couple years from now i may upgrade, but ive been putting a beating on my hardrock and it has handled everything so far.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Its tough. It depends on if you want disc brakes right away. I kind of am in the same situation. I say go with the Hardrock disc or sport disc (maybe even a hardrock 29er). The Rockhopper would give you a better frame and maybe a few better components BUT in testing those bikes out I really couldn't tell a big difference if any. As far as weight, I don't now that actual stats but I don't believe the RH is that much lighter than the HR. Maybe a pound or so but I doubt it is any significant weigh reduction. For example you could miss your morning bowl movement and actually weigh more than the difference between RH and HR when you go out for a morning ride.

Phil
    I went through the same thing. I went with the hardrock sport disc and love it. I'm 230lbs and it feels sturdy for me. I'll upgrade as I go. Take a look at how much it costs to upgrade to disc brakes(brakes, levers, cables, rims, hubs, installation) and if you can't do a lot of it yourself it can get really expensive down the road

Get busy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by XRC800
    I would go for the RH for the M4 frame & a better rear derailleur. If you can, get the RH comp disc though. For an extra $150 better fork & disc brakes makes it a great entry level bike IMHO.
    ^What he/she said.. You can't go wrong with the M4 and brakes can be upgraded cheap. Save a little more or sell something old on craigslist and get the M4 disc. You wont regret it..

Good luck
    07 M4 Rockhopper Pro (Mango)
    Fox Fork 100mm / Chris King Headset

mtbr member
    The Rockhopper is a capable racing and trail bike.

Ned Overend won the Singlespeed Nationals on a Rockhopper.
    Specialized R&D

mtbr member
    I know this may be little late, but we realized for 2010 line people were having to make this tough decision.
    So for 2011 the base model Rockhopper has disc brakes and is now 9 speed in the rear.
    See it in action here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIUSnhWe8gk
    Specialized R&D

Get busy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Speci-AL
    I know this may be little late, but we realized for 2010 line people were having to make this tough decision.
    So for 2011 the base model Rockhopper has disc brakes and is now 9 speed in the rear.
    See it in action here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIUSnhWe8gk

LOL!! Awesome video.
    07 M4 Rockhopper Pro (Mango)
    Fox Fork 100mm / Chris King Headset