mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Hardrock Sport Disc 29 Brake problem

So I've had my bike for a week (as of yesterday) and have a hair under 20 miles on it. So as far as I'm concerned it's still brand spanking new.

However, a few miles ago it starting having a rather worrying problem. Both the brakes (just FYI they are hydrolic Tektro brakes)started having the infamous turkey wobble sound... thing. I the rear want a bit louder, and the braking wasn't hindered in anyway. So after some research on here and a few other forums I came to the conclusion that it's just the nature of the beast.

However the front was having a problem that was a bit more concerning. When I would apply the brakes on the front (even slightly) the front end would have such a nasty shake that the entire frame would shake. I could actually look down my forks (it did this with them locked or unlocked) and actually see them flexing back and forth.

This is a bit more of a problem for me then the sound. I called my LBS yesterday and they said it was most likely glazed rotors/pads and they could take care of it in a few minutes.

I have hydrolic disk brakes on all of my motorcycles, so I'm fairly familiar with glazed brakes. I couldn't make it down there yesterday, but made it today.

The mechanic took it for a test ride (he's almost my size) and said that it was glazed brakes as well as the fork not being... big boy approved. He gave me a speech about how essentially I want going to have this problem, or spend more money. The part that stuck out to me was that he said moisture is what glazes the brakes, and anything as simple as morning dew(sp?) could cause it at anytime.

I pointed out that my wife's Myka Sport Disk 29 was purchase on the same day, stored in the same place, rode the same way, at the same time and doesn't have any problems. He told me that my size (I'm 6'1, and roughly 270LBS) was also a big factor in it. This part actually irritated me because I felt if that was the case it should have been mentioned when I purchased the bike.

At this point the manager who I originally purchased from stepped in. He said that they would hold the bike overnight and call Specialized to see if they would cover a new set of pads (the LBS already said they would cover any labor to remedy the situation) and they would just put a set of organic pads on.

I reminded him that I live 40 miles away, and told him I needed to make a phone call. I called a buddy who basically said something doesn't sound right and that if I wasn't happy he would personally take me into his LBS (he spent over $100K there last year and it's about half way to me) and we would get something done to make sure I'm happy.

When I walked back into the shop they had already spoken to Specialized and had gotten the authorization to replace everything (brake related) with Shimano SLX parts with NO cost to me.

To say that I'm pretty happy is a bit of an understatement, however I'm still not sure about the other stuff they mentioned. Will I have to replace the fork to get rid of the shake/shudder? Will I always struggle with glazed pads/rotors? And is my size to blame or are these problems because of something else?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Now they just called me and said they don't have the SLX in stock however they have a Dior I believe is what he said and I can have that one for free for the SLX next week

Fat-tired Roadie
    I don't have problems with my brake pads glazing unless I get them contaminated with oil or something. (Avid BB7s on one bike and Elixirs on two.)

The fork thing - at 160 lb, I noticed a big improvement going from a flexy fork to the aging Marzocchi Bomber that's on the front of my bike now. Actually, a Hardrock. An '07. So while you can get a little less shudder from good braking technique, you're never getting good performance from the stock fork.

How do you ride your bike? The cheapest cure for suspension problems is getting rid of it...
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Fat-tired Roadie
    Oops - meant to say that crappy weather is what really sold me on disc brakes initially. They still work in rain, mud, snow, whatever.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Re: Hardrock Sport Disc 29 Brake problem

Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    I don't have problems with my brake pads glazing unless I get them contaminated with oil or something. (Avid BB7s on one bike and Elixirs on two.)

The fork thing - at 160 lb, I noticed a big improvement going from a flexy fork to the aging Marzocchi Bomber that's on the front of my bike now. Actually, a Hardrock. An '07. So while you can get a little less shudder from good braking technique, you're never getting good performance from the stock fork.

How do you ride your bike? The cheapest cure for suspension problems is getting rid of it...
    I will commute, however I have a REALLY bumpy road on the way to work, so the shock is necessary. It has never been ridden anywhere that needs the forks unlocked yet.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Google Paris-Roubaix and Cyclocross.

Believe me - with a rigid fork, your front wheel will be much more predictable.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Any input on the SLX vs Deore brakes?

Fat-tired Roadie
    One's more expensive? I bet it's been discussed on the forums. The only Shimano hydraulics I've ridden have been on demo bikes, so XTs. In general, function is already really good on Deore parts, but there are always improvements moving up the series. I don't know if they're worth whatever the cost increase is, however.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    One's more expensive? I bet it's been discussed on the forums. The only Shimano hydraulics I've ridden have been on demo bikes, so XTs. In general, function is already really good on Deore parts, but there are always improvements moving up the series. I don't know if they're worth whatever the cost increase is, however.
    Neither will cost me a dime. The SLX they won't have till next week. I think I should bite the bullet and give up a week of riding so I can have the better (I think) brakes.

I've searched on here and on many other forums and I can't seem to find a straight answer.

mtbr member
    I have the 2013 HR Sport Disk with over 350miles on it...the only time I heard that noise was an early ride..cold & foggy. As soon as I hit the brakes the first time ..I was all whaoa what the heck...but then it went away...never got any shakes or vibration from them. Actually I'm very happy with My Tektro HDC300 Hydros..
    Sounds like the vibration/shakes is the real issue..not the dumb noise...?
    I have no clue about the others you ask about...good luck
    Oh I'm 215lbs on a 19" ...
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Burt4x4 View Post
    Sounds like the vibration/shakes is the real issue..not the dumb noise...?
    Yes exactly. And I spoke to the LBS again. I'll be picking up my today with a new Shimano Deore M615 brakes.

mtbr member
    Cool, please post up what you think after you get some seat time with them. Pics are awesome too hehehe
    Good Luck
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Will do :-)

mtbr member
    the SLX are better. not sure why you couldnt figure that out just by looking at Shimanos site
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    the SLX are better. not sure why you couldnt figure that out just by looking at Shimanos site
    In what way? Being more expensive doesn't mean that they are better. Now do me a favor and go troll somewhere else.

mtbr member
    not at all. Shimano doesnt even list prices. see specs

sorry, didnt mean to be a jerk

i was just pissed. seems your shop was messin with you. but maybe not

good luck
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I'm not 100% sure the tech wasn't giving me the run around. So you may be onto something there.