mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Hardrock questions

i'm just now getting into riding. I'm looking to get a specialized hardrock series not sure which one really. thats where you guys come in. i've looked all over this forum for info about this model but i havent found it so i thought i'd add a thread. Are these good bikes for the money? i'm in the military so i'm on kind of a budget. and my last question is...is there a better bike out there for around the same price? I appreciate all your help. Thanks

Wait, what!?
    You might look into a Rockhopper instead. I didnt know if I should get my girlfriend the HR or RH but an glad I spent the extra 200 bucks or so.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i second the rockhopper, the biggest drawback on the hardrock is the RST fork, i had one on my old bike and its heavy fragile and feels like a pogo stick, the rockhopper is very competant right off the shelf

mtbr member
    Is that the only difference between the Rockhopper and the Hard rock is the fork and components?

local trails rider
    The Hardrock has a frame that is on the strong+heavy side of the spectrum (Hardrock XC is a different thing). It is pretty good for the money but a Rockhopper might be better unless you are heavy or want to go more for jumps and drops.

Trek has some pretty decent entry level bikes too... actually, so does almost every one of the "good" brands.

mtbr member
    Okay, thanks. I was debating whether to upgrade the Hardrock or not. It would need a new fork, rims, brakes, but if the frame is heaver then the rockhopper or stumpjumper hardtail then why bother with upgrading. Makes more sense to sell it and buy a lighter frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StudioDino
    Okay, thanks. I was debating whether to upgrade the Hardrock or not. It would need a new fork, rims, brakes, but if the frame is heaver then the rockhopper or stumpjumper hardtail then why bother with upgrading. Makes more sense to sell it and buy a lighter frame.
    I agree, better just to sell and get a new bike. I spent $300 on a new fork for my Hardrock before I realised this and sold it, though to be fair, it was broken (the RSTs are very very rubbish)!

To the OP - I'd go for the Rockhopper if your budget will stretch that far, or maybe get a cheaper '07 Rockhopper instead of a '08 Hardrock?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions ive read up alot about the forks and the breaks i think ill go with the rockhopper..thanks for all the help