mtbr member
    Apr 2006

hardrock potential

i have an 06 hardrock and im considering upgrading it, but i wonder about how much potential the bike really has. are the cost of upgrades really a better deal than a complete with the components like what i should upgrade too.

would you say it has lots of potential or i should just buy another bike.
    what should i fix first id say get discs,
    do i need new wheels for that?

Certified Silly Bugger!
    I've got an 05 hardrock which i've put mavic 223's and Avid BB7's on along with a fox RLC 100 airsprung fork. The brakes were probably the most crucial upgrade to ensure my survival and the forks have breathed new life into it.

I reckon its an awesome little bus now, great for just about anything.
    Mmmm..... Gatorale.....

[SIZE="3"]
    I like Pepper!
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    whats a average weight of a averagely modded hardrock?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

It is always (or almost always) cheaper....

to get the complete bike with what you want on it. The reason being is that you can't touch the price that manufacturers pay for their components.

But that being said, it is always more fun and satisfying to either build from a frame up or upgrade the bike to the way you want it. Is the HR frame worth it. That depends on you. I've got a brand new 05 HR pro frame that I got for a song, that I'm going to be building up from scratch as a heavy duty commuter and fun bike. The frames are quite reasonable cost wise, quite stout as far as construction, but not the lightest available. My wife has a size small 03 HR that tips in at 26lbs with upgrades. Like I said not the lightest bikes out there, but then the frames are overbuilt to handle begginer abuse and urban duties. I'd say for use they fall inbetween the Rockhopper and the P3. Basically a good stout heavy duty XC and Trail bike.

Does the frame have potential, sure. But I wouldn't be looking to build a light weight race bike out of it. A good stout trail bike would be the goal here I think. I probably won't go anything much over XT components, 100mm Marzocchi fork, etc.

As far as what to start with for your upgrades, you don't say what model you have, but since you don't have Disc brakes already I am assuming that it is the sport. From a performance perspective the 4 best upgrades that you can make would be, Wheels and tires, Brakes, Fork, and Drive train (derailluers, shifters, cassette, crank set, etc.) If you want to stick with the 8 speed drive train then derailleurs would be the first I would upgrade, then shop around for shifters etc. later. Anyway, those upgrades are not in any particular order. Of those I'd do the fork and the wheels first. Other than brakes, those two will give you the most noticeable both in weight and performance. Just make sure that you get hubs with the future upgrade to disc brakes in mind.

Anyway, does the frame have potential? Yup, depending on what you're intended end use is. Is it worth it? Depends on you and how much you like the frame. But, be advised you will VERY quickly exceed the original price of the bike (just with a good fork!) or easily exceed half the bikes cost upgrading to disc brakes depending on how cheap you are willing to go. And depending on which components and the level of the components that you intend to upgrade it most likely would easily exceed the cost of a new bike with similar components if you at thinking of extensive upgrades.

So, it would most likely be cheaper to just upgrade to a new bike with what you want on it. But it is more fun, though more expensive, to upgrade what you've got until you have exactly what you want. It's up to you. Save money in the long run, or do it a little at a time and spend more, but have more fun doing it. Your choice of course.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    From a performance perspective the 4 best upgrades that you can make would be, Wheels and tires, Brakes, Fork, and Drive train (derailluers, shifters, cassette, crank set, etc.)
    That's pretty much all there is...

IMO:
    1. Fork
    2. Brakes
    3. Wheels
    4. Rear derailleur
    (*5. Shifters-Cassette-Chain)

A cheap way of saving a lot of weight high up in the bike is changing the saddle. Low-end BG:s are usually very heavy (my Rival was 340 g = 0,76 lbs). You should be able to find a good, cheap saddle that will weight less than half of original. The SLR has a great price/weight -ratio, but saddles that cost about $ 40, are not that heavy either.

*) Chain and cassette are parts that will have to be changed every now and then, so upgrading a well working set (?) at this point might not be wise.
    Upgrading the shifters from 8 to 9, will require the cassette (and chain - most 8-speed chains should work with 9-speed cassettes, but if the upgrade is done for performance reasons, change the chain aswell) to be changed. You won't get 100 % potential from the new rear derailleur, until you've upgraded the shifters, cassette and chain aswell.

The tires are not that bad, but not very light. If the weight is not a big issue, it might be a good idea to upgrade the tires the next time you would have to change them due to wear/damage.