dude

Hardrock with long-ish fork

Hey all,

So I just picked up an 05 hardrock pro off of craigslist. It's a pretty nice build and it comes with a manitou nixon - I believe that it's 145mm travel and 518mm axel to crown. I do realize that this is too much travel and it will "rake out" the front end a bit. That, I'm not too worried about.

What I *AM* worried about is catastrophic failure of the head tube. I bought the bike for my wife's cousin and I believe he intends to ride it as a trail bike mostly, no hucking or massive jumps, but probably 1-2 ft drops here & there. I don't want to be the guy that's at fault for his broken jaw.

Is this something that I need to worry about? If so, can the nixon be shortened easily? This is the non-IT, non-rapid wind-down version.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    It is a burly frame but 145mm is 145% of the travel that frame is designed for. I wouldn't go for more than 120mm.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The stock forks that came on my 07 hardrock were 100mm but were very poor. I replaced them with 130mm travel revelation forks. Had no problems with this fork and transformed the ride I had on the bike. Took it down Fort William with no problems (with the bike that is...I had a couple of offs hehe)

Cheers

dude
    Another thing I am considering trying is just running the fork with tons of sag, maybe 30-40% or so. Any reason this would be a bad idea?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I ran my revelations with about 25 -30% sag which meant the length of fork was roughly 100mm (stock length) when on the flat. I felt an immediate improvement on the bike when going over roughr terrain i.e. roots, dropoffs etc. Just far more tactile.

Cheers

Craig.