Thread: Hardrock Frame

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Hardrock Frame

i have a 04 hard rock comp disk and was wondering if the frame could take a beating or if for a 140 pound (120 now, still growing) could make it fail, i am willing to upgrade it, but it will only last 2 years them (sizing) or if i am better of to save that same money and spend it on my next bike (hoping P.2 or P.3) I go pretty big, not to brag but i am the biker of around my age that i know so it will take one heck of a pounding 2,3,4, sometimes when i can find em 5 foot drops to cement, dirt, grass what ever flat, down hill, lander, i don't care i just ride. big jumps 8 foot doubles, often flying 5 feet. lots of hard trail riding with jumps drops, single track. Lots of miles, and traveling miles. i just ride the Sh!t out of me and my bike. might not be alot to some, but for 12 most people find it impressive. so basic question upgrade hardrock now and keep it longer or not upgrade hope it lasts and dump it for better freeride bike sooner? help a young rider out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock Rider
    i have a 04 hard rock comp disk and was wondering if the frame could take a beating or if for a 140 pound (120 now, still growing) could make it fail, i am willing to upgrade it, but it will only last 2 years them (sizing) or if i am better of to save that same money and spend it on my next bike (hoping P.2 or P.3) I go pretty big, not to brag but i am the biker of around my age that i know so it will take one heck of a pounding 2,3,4, sometimes when i can find em 5 foot drops to cement, dirt, grass what ever flat, down hill, lander, i don't care i just ride. big jumps 8 foot doubles, often flying 5 feet. lots of hard trail riding with jumps drops, single track. Lots of miles, and traveling miles. i just ride the Sh!t out of me and my bike. might not be alot to some, but for 12 most people find it impressive. so basic question upgrade hardrock now and keep it longer or not upgrade hope it lasts and dump it for better freeride bike sooner? help a young rider out.
    i would deffinetly save up for a new bike, i have a hardrock sport at about 180pounds and i killed my bike and rebuilt it after saving up and getting an SXtrail. the hardrock makes a decent XC but for what you want, a P would fit you best. the hardrock is pretty flew frame even is you are 140 your still better off with a p

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    ok, thanks, that what i wanted to know, but will it make it though the rest of the summer and into the school year, until the snow comes in october?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock Rider
    ok, thanks, that what i wanted to know, but will it make it though the rest of the summer and into the school year, until the snow comes in october?
    it should make it just keep it lubed and check EVERYTHING after a couple of rides and you should maintain it a lot just so it won't fail. also clean your cassette and chain and der, and regrease you bb and such just to make it new again. it will last you just try not to crash. keeping you bike like new will keep it functioning like new, i did it to my hardrock right before i thought it was trash and it looked NEW. just the seat is crap. i wouldn't recommend it but you could easily clean you drivetrain with a brush and gasoline, but it's not evirmently friendly so keep it contained.

mtbr member

Hardrock - pretty hard.

I disagree,

As far as hardtails go, I think the Hardrock is a very capable frame. It's the components you have to worry about. With you being so light, I don't think you have alot to worry about. I've been riding my '04 Hardrock pro disk for about 18 mo (I weigh 240, and yes I downhill and huck some), and the only problems i encountered are derailleur problems (Acera/Deore). The Ditch Witch rims are good to go too. rode it for a year before I noticed the rear gettin wobbly. The only things I've upgraded are the brakes, because the 475 6" discs couldn't keep the back locked up down near-vertical rocky trails and didn't have very good feel to 'em. Next will be the deraileurs. But I seriously doubt you'll damage that frame within a couple years, it's just freakin stout! And the welds on mine are works of art.
    Having said all that though, I think the P series is more suited to your riding. Smaller (though no less stout) and I believe it has a lower stand-over, and lower center of grav. Heck, the thing was made for DJ and huckin'.

LukeB
    Feb 2005
    I've got an 8 year old Hardrock. It's tough as you like- I go jumping on it and do north shore. It's got 130mm forks now, and the rear mech ahgner got bashed and is non replaceable so it's singlespeed now, but it's incredibly tough.

I don't go easy on it- i chuck it on the floor, and crash it a lot, just out of carelessness cos it's my "old" frame. Yours should last a long long time- hell, i still ride mine and I've got an Enduro as well, i like it so much.

It handled falling off this, and then dropping it, so I guess it's pretty tough (it's about 8 feet at the end)

http://www.m-bike.tk

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Hardrock

They're pretty unbreakable IMHO, two of my friend have Hardrocks as "b*tch bikes" which they ride if they don't want to ruin their Enduros in the winter mire. They'd upgraded the cranks and rear mech on purchase and two years on both Hardrocks are doing just fine, considering that until very recently they'd received absolutely no maintenence or TLC whatsoever.

Both my mates are well over 200lbs and enjoy hucking and dirt jumping too.

One chap has upgraded his Hardrock by fitting his ex-Enduro RockShox Psylos, Deore hydro discs and Deore cranks, resulting in a very nice bike indeed. The other has fitted my old Marzocchi EXRs to his and reports no ill effects from cranking front travel up to 120mm.

I also bought one for my g/f for ?200 new, which was an abolute bargain. All it really needs is a better fork than the awful RST Gila but for the same price as an X Box you can't really complain.