Thread: Hardrock fork

mtbr member

Hardrock fork

I keep hearing how the RST Gilla T6 is pretty crappy, but that's what came on my bike. It'll be a few weeks before I replace it because I have some work to do on my car ($$), but I figured I'd go ahead and ask for some suggestions and start making comparisons.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I've got a 3" Judy TT on my Hardrock now, with which I am not dissatisfied. If I had some money for an upgrade I'd probably go for a 4" Marzocchi MX or even a Fox Vanilla at 4 inches.

mtbr member
    What's the difference in 3" or 4" of travel? I don't know any of this technical stuff, yet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Well, a 4" fork would give you 1 inch more suspension than 3" one, so in theory, it'll be more comfortable.

I think the RST you are riding now is a 3" fork. A 4" fork will lift the bottom bracket and slacken the head angle, but I think the Hardrock can handle one with ease. Lots of models come with 4" forks straight out of the factory. A longer travel will also raise your handlebars, but you can undo this by moving some spacers from under your stem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The RST Gilas are 4" (100mm) forks. I personally dislike the T5s a lot but I think they were improved a fair bit for 2006 and the Gila T6 is a pretty OK starter fork. The recomendations stated in this thread are good, Fox Vanilla 130R, Marzocchi MX Comp.