Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Single

8 80.00%
  • Multi

2 20.00%
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Hardrock for DJ--how should I build it up?

alright so I have an '08 Hardrock Sport, and I'm upgrading to a Santa Cruz Heckler(my friend convinced me to break Specialized loyalty, plus it's like $4000 cheaper than an Enduro). Anyway I don't want to just throw away or sell my Hardrock so I thought I would make it a burly-ass DJ/Urban bike. How would you guys recommend to upgrade it?

P.S. It's all stock right now

the test dummy
    make it a single speed take the front brakes off and get a dj fork, a guy i work with did that to his, its awesome. the frame is pretty much indestructible
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    make it a single speed take the front brakes off and get a dj fork, a guy i work with did that to his, its awesome. the frame is pretty much indestructible
    Yea that's pretty much been the consensus with most bike junkies I've asked. Do you by chance know what fork he got?

the test dummy
    he got a marzocchi dj 3 but i would get the 1 its better
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member

run brakes

Why remove the front brake?

Just run the line or cable down through the steering tube then that way you will have solved two problems. Then run longer lines to the rear of your bike to aid bar spins and the like. Custom build your wheels with Chris King hubs and Mavic 729 rims using double butted spokes. They will not move!

Voilą

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Just run the line or cable down through the steering tube then that way you will have solved two problems. Then run longer lines to the rear of your bike to aid bar spins and the like. Custom build your wheels with Chris King hubs and Mavic 729 rims using double butted spokes. They will not move!

Voilą

oh yea forgot to mention I'm trying to do this on kind of a budget(i.e. less than or around $200) because, like I said, I still need to buy that heckler. anyway another question I have is whether or not an old BMX chainring would work to put on the hardrock. Anybody ever done this or have any info on this?

Picture Unrelated
    You're trying to do it on the cheap, so run it how it is. Keep the gears on and upgrade the pieces you break or the things that will really influence the way the bike jumps like the fork and bars/stem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    You're trying to do it on the cheap, so run it how it is. Keep the gears on and upgrade the pieces you break or the things that will really influence the way the bike jumps like the fork and bars/stem.
    Yea I was thinking about doing that. It's what I'm leaning towards now that I know someone else thinks I should

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    yea man, dont touch the drive train. Get yourself a DJ fork, a set of 40mm rise bars, and a 50mm stem. Just upgrade the other parts as you brake them.

Because those are the parts that are actually going to affect how it feels while jumping. If you want, make it a 1x9 for simplicity, but thats cheap as well.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by xbrinelax2011
    Santa Cruz Heckler(my friend convinced me to break Specialized loyalty, plus it's like $4000 cheaper than an Enduro).
    Sarcasm? Are you comparing to the S-Works Carbon?

The Heckler is a fantastic bike, without a doubt, but it is not the Santa Cruz that I would compare to the Enduro anyway.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    The Heckler is a fantastic bike, without a doubt, but it is not the Santa Cruz that I would compare to the Enduro anyway.
    Yea I know it's not the equivalent but it's what I would buy if I were staying with Specialized