Dual Squishy...

Hardrock - Crank Swap

Bought my son a new Hardrock Sport Disk 26er. Size small (he just turned 10). He loves it but to me the bike is wicked heavy. Weight most likely all in the fork and cranks (square taper BB). Switching cranks could probably net me a 1 lb. + difference and wouldn't cost a boat load.

Current cranks are SR Suntour XCT, 8-speed, square taper spindle. Wondering if the Shimano DEORE Crankset (FC-M590-10) would work on his 3x8 setup. The only difference is the 22 vs. 24 granny gear.

Wheels and fork up for consideration after this season's riding.

mtbr member
    Weight saving on any bike is never cheap.

Switch the cranks to carbon if you can and go 2 x 9 or 1x10 with a lightweight bash
    Forks will be heavy if spring based, switch to air
    Wheels look for a lighter set and go tubeless (ghetto save /$ and weight)
    Bars and stem are another area to save weight as is seatpost

Dont buy new unless your doing it with a view to parts being migrated to a new bike down the road. Use flebay.

Bear in mind the weight of the majority of components remains static irrespective on bike size
    MTB: Stumpy, Enduro, Hotrock, Commencal Supreme
    ROAD: Jamis Zenith, Pinarello Dogma

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    My Hardrock has the Spline BB and is SS but still weighs 33 pounds...

Just leave it as is until your boy puts 500miles on it then go full Shimano XT with brakes and wheels for $800 as a reward.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Dropped atleast a pound swapping to a Truvativ Stylo crank. My hardrock is 24# as a SS, was 25# as a 1x9. You can definately make them lighter.

Dual Squishy...
    Thanks for the replies guys!

I think a new fork will be the big reward for kicking butt all season for him.

Already swapped out the bars and stem for lighter alloy stuff I had hanging around. Huge difference and slightly wider which he liked. Thought about putting my 2011 Roval wheels that came off my Epic Expert EVO which would be decent drop in weight, but I think the big culprits are the crank (square taper) and fork (cheap coil sprung).

Cranks on sale are cheap, and was looking to see if a 3x10 crank would pose issues tossed onto a 3x8 drive train.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    The stock Hardrock wheels are boat anchors... I dropped far more substantial weight switching to Stans Flows(which aren't exactly the lightest things) and going tubeless. I think I dropped 2.5 lbs for the set(also swapping the Fast Trak Sports for Fast Trak Controls) IIRC.

...and its rotational mass... so the lighter wheelset just made the entire ride way more fun and responsive.

The crank is heavy, but you'll only drop a pound. Riding will be relatively the same.

Dual Squishy...
    Agreed. The Rovals from my Epic will drop a pile of weight as well. Planning on cranks and wheels, with the cranks the only thing I have to purchase. Hopefully no compatability issues on a 3x10 crank being used on a 3x8 setup...

mtbr member
    I wouldn't think you will have an issue..3x10 on a 3x8 the 3 is the same ...yer rear deraler shouldn't even notice or it will just soak up the change...but I am guessing so no hate if I am wrong :-)
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement