mtbr member
    Jul 2009

HardRock Comp Disc or RockHopper Comp Disc ???

Which one should i pick for a beginner rider.?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Go with the Rockhopper. I am serious. You will not regret it. It's easier to upgrade and has the better frame of the two. Yeah, it's a bit more expensive but it is well worth it.

mtbr member
    i did rockhopper. u should too.

cougarbait
    if you're just strolling around town, go for the hardrock, otherwise, do the rockhopper
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    if i pick the rockhopper, do i still need to do upgrades on it. on my LBS its 729$ for an 09 rockhopper comp disc. is that a good deal??

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by allancold
    if i pick the rockhopper, do i still need to do upgrades on it. on my LBS its 729$ for an 09 rockhopper comp disc. is that a good deal??
    What kind of upgrades are you talking about?

cougarbait
    you really don't "need" upgrades on anything..
    if you wanted a bike with top-shelf components then you'd be looking at a lot more money than what a rockhopper costs.
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    I think either bike would be good.

If you aren't sure if you will like riding, go with the Hardrock.
    If you have some riding history, go with the Rockhopper.

I think either bike will be good for a beginner off the shelf. You can begin to upgrade parts as things break or wear out.

I looked for a HR Comp Disc, but a 2010 isn't on the site. I do like the components on the RH more, less Suntour (based on the 2009).

What it comes down to is buy what you will ride. Have fun, ride your bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rosborn
    What kind of upgrades are you talking about?

not really sure. i just want to know if i need to or it will work just fine for awhile.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    not really sure. i just want to know if i need to or it will work just fine for awhile.
    It'll work just fine. Upgrade things as needed (in other words - as they wear out). You might try looking at the closeout 2009 bikes. Specialized is cutting the prices on these and you should be able to find a good deal. For what it's worth, the Rockhopper Comp Disc is a fine bike and, in my opinion, a much nicer bike than the Hardrock Comp Disc. Shoot, the frame alone makes the Rockhopper a better bike. You see, the frame they use on the Rockhopper used to be the frame they used on the Stumpjumper a few years ago. The Stumpjumper is one level up (i.e. higher) than the Rockhopper. That means just a few short years ago the frame that is on the Rockhopper was being used by professional riders.

cougarbait
    yup, the 09 rockhopper was specialized's flagship hardtail aluminum frame in 07.
    not to mention the hardrock's are now 80mm..
    09AS-Rsl/09Six