mtbr member

Hardrock base vs Sport?

I'm looking at getting a Specialized Hardrock. I'm just getting into the sport and am looking for something to get me started. I went by the local shop and the employee suggested getting the Sport version over the base model. How much of a difference is between the two? Is it worth $75? Base model was 400, Sport model was 475.

mtbr member
    i would say go for the sport yes it is $75 more but you will get disk brakes (which i think are a lot better than rim) and also some of the other peaces of your bike will be slightly better too

A serious man.
    There are a bunch of small upgrades on the sport, but none of them will fundamentally change much about the bike. I'd stick with the base model. I picked one up last night and it is excellent.

The disc model might be a worthy upgrade though.

A serious man.
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpbrick
    i would say go for the sport yes it is $75 more but you will get disk brakes (which i think are a lot better than rim) and also some of the other peaces of your bike will be slightly better too
    The sport doesn't come with disc, unless you get the 'sport disc' model, which is another 80-100 bucks.

mtbr member
    bump. Anyone have any more insight?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I am a little confused about the models you are looking at. Are they both 09 models? The 2009 base hardrock has an MSRP of $390, and the sport is $500. Shops typically discount off the MSRP though. If those are the two models you are comparing the big difference is 7 speed on the base and 8 speed on the sport. Only you can decide, but I am not sure how easy it is to find parts for a 7 speed anymore, and if you decided at some point you wanted to go to 8 or 9 speed you might have to replace the hub as well as the shifter and cassette.

I'd try to talk the shop down a little on the sport (or get them to throw in some extras)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Go with the Sport. Not only it has one more cog, but everything else is slightly better. The base Hardrock has steel handlebar, the Sport has aluminum. The rims are single wall vs double wall for the Sport. Just those items alone will cost you more than $75 to upgrade. Specialized really went cheap on the 09 base Hardrock.