SpecRH
    May 2009

Hardrock ( base model) VS. Hardrock Sport Disc VS. rockhopper

i currently have a 2009 Hardrock base model. I want something a little more advanced so im thinking of either upgrading my current hardrock or getting a

Hardrock Sport Disc or a Rockhopper.

i mainly just ride simple trails and non paved surfaces.

Which one t do you think???

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I do know that gets expensive to upgrade really quick, depending on what you want to do. Might be better to get one set-up with the components you like.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Are you running into the HR not being "enough bike" for you?

If I didn't have a bike yet and looked at those, i'd get the RH just because I think it's worth the extra money. But, since you have an 09 HR it'd be a tough sell to get rid of it and buy a RH without truly outgrowing the HR.

Between the HR disc and the RH base, I'd go rockhopper. I like the frame more and if you're doing simple trails V-brakes tend to do the trick alright.

Class Clown
    What do you mean by more advanced? Where do you feel your current bike is lacking?

SpecRH
    May 2009
    the bike really isn't lacking anything. I just enjoy upgrading things,and i figured my bike would be a good one to upgrade, i just didn't know if it was worth it in the end or not to upgrade vs. buying a more advanced one.

mtbr member
    Personally I would ride what you have. If you find it's lacking, or doesn't suit your needs then think about upgrading it or getting a new bike. For the kind of riding you say you do I don't think you're really going to see much improvement with either of the two choices you listed.

If you simply must get something else then go with the rockhopper.

Class Clown
    I would agree. It doesn't make alot of sense to buy new parts for no good reason. I would just ride it until you get a better sense of what you want, or try to test ride a higher end bike to see the difference.

Frame-wise I don't see the point. It would probably just lead you to a future rockhopper vs stumpjumper debate. I believe your bike has the mounts for disc brakes already. Take a look at your hubs to see if they allow for rotors. The biggest upgrade concern I'd have is with the gearing, particularly with the rear hub and maybe crankset. Keep in mind most of the good stuff is based around 9 speed.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Agree with the others here - keep the Hardrock for now. Ride it into the ground. By then you'll have a better feel for what you want. Upgrading an existing bike is very expensive, so better to save up for a high end Rockhopper like the Expert or Pro (my current favorite HT). It will cost you a lot less in the long run and you will have a sweet ride that requires no upgrades. Stumpys are nice too, but are more aggressive in riding style and much more expensive.