mtbr member

Handlebar extenders?

the handlebars on my 2007 enduro expert seems a bit narrow (26" across). the bars on my GT were 28" across and felt more comfortable. i was wondering if the are any type of "extenders" i can but at the end of my handlebars, then slide the grips over them to extend the handlebars to 27" or 28" across....or would i just have to get new handlebars?

thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I would suggest new bars as the best and safest way to go.

D
    [SIZE="1"]--Shimano, Answer Manitou, Panaracer, Selle Italia--[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    I've never heard of anything that would extend handlebars on a bike. I think that would be really unsafe as you wouldn't want your bars exploding on the way down some fast technical descent. A set of new bars would be the way to go. Just make sure that you find one that is comfortable and wide enough for your tastes.
    2006 Specialized Enduro Elite
    2004 Rocky Mountain Element 50

Wait, what!?
    Do they not share the same diameter? Why cant you just swap them?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduroblood
    Do they not share the same diameter? Why cant you just swap them?
    good point...i'll have to check to see if they are swap-able. although i still use the other bike from time to time. it's not like its a major issue for me...probably something i just have to get used to. once i'm into my ride it's not as noticeable...just as i begin my ride its something that i notice...usually my pinkie fingers (and part of ring finger) are hanging over the grips. i thought if there was some sort of "plug" that fit snuggly...even "fixed" into the end of the bars...then put the grips over it, it would be an easy solution. dont thing they'd pop-out if i fixed them in and had the grips over them...but i guess anything is possible. just burns me to have to replace things on a brand new bike...urg oh well...we do what we have to do.