mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Hammerschmidt on a Demo?

Anyone have one on their Demo? I've been doing a lot more local riding in the winter (non-chairlift) and was thinking a Hammerschmidt may help. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have one on my SX trail. Love it for all mountain. Pain in the ass to install though. Can't mill the tabs or you void the warranty and they're set back too far. I measured mine with a caliper and filed the spacers to within .002 of perfect before it worked. Labor of love. Now that it's on though its perfect. instant shifts, no maintenance, loads of ground clearance. Highly recommended.

mtbr member

No good Same here

PIA to get it installed, but worth every minute of it. 38 pounds as shown.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hammerschmidt on a Demo?-dsc00776.jpg  

The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    nice paint on that guy. I should also add, I took off the chain guide on top. Never lost the chain once all season. Before I took it off though I bent it twice on the trail and it was almost a day ender both times. The bolts bend and lock the chain in place and bent bolts are hard to get out. Also, the cable guide on the bottom smashes off the first time you hit a rock. I left the front bolt off and swiveled it back behind the unit. Problem solved.