mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Grips on Christoph's epic

Has anyone seen the 2010 Specialized catalog yet? In a few pictures of Christoph's epic it looks like he has some handlebar grips that are massive in size (diameter). Does anyone know what they are, or have any experience with them? They look like super large foam grips.
    Trestle Bridge Racing

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    They are indeed large foam grips.

I don't think Specialized makes them.

They are ultralight and come in two sizes (diameters). I don't know the name but you should be able to search around for them, they have been out for a few years now.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I think their ESI chunky grips. They're silicone, not foam and super lightweight. www.esigrips.com
    Disclosure: I work in a bike shop

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by UpwardSpiral
    I think their ESI chunky grips. They're silicone, not foam and super lightweight. www.esigrips.com
    Hmmm.. Thats an interesting use of the material. I've seen lock on grips that can be used with bar tape, but never this. Thanks for the link!
    Trestle Bridge Racing

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have these on my Pivot and love them. In fact, I am going to put them on my SJ 29r SS. The stock ones feel like I'm holding a pencil compared to the ESI's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Right now I'm using Ergon Gx1's. I love the flat panel on the palm, but the actual grips are hard as rocks. The pair in the pictures on his bike look sweet.
    Trestle Bridge Racing

Ergon Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrower4g63
    Right now I'm using Ergon Gx1's. I love the flat panel on the palm, but the actual grips are hard as rocks. The pair in the pictures on his bike look sweet.
    Try the GP1 Leichtbau in size small for a softer wing. The GX1 is a XC oriented grip designed to be used with lightly padded gloves. Also, if the wing 'feels' hard, drop the wing angle down a bit. This won't have the grip feeling like it is 'digging' into your hand.

Jeff K
    Ergon USA

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ERGON
    Try the GP1 Leichtbau in size small for a softer wing. The GX1 is a XC oriented grip designed to be used with lightly padded gloves. Also, if the wing 'feels' hard, drop the wing angle down a bit. This won't have the grip feeling like it is 'digging' into your hand.

Jeff K
    Ergon USA
    Hi Jeff,
    The wing is great! I love it. Fits the palm perfect. Its the actual 'front' so to speak. In front of the palm directly under the knuckles. There still great grips. I'm gonna look into the set you posted, thanks for chiming in!
    Trestle Bridge Racing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UpwardSpiral
    That's correct!