Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grip review.

Texan

Grip review.

Maybe I'm over-anal, but I am very particular about what I put my hands on while riding. I wear gloves and my hand size would be considered average to large and I dont like large diameter grips. I just feel I have less control with big grips since I ride with 2 fingers on the rear brake lever and one on the front. This is what I have tried this year.

Oury lock ons. Probably the best lock ons made! The diameter didnt bother me too much, but they are so tacky that when I made adjustments, like standing up, my gloves would stick and bunch up. And they are heavy

Oury slip ons. Pretty much the same as above, but alot lighter.

Bontrager foams. Extreemly light at 10 grams, but fat as my ex wife and no grip at all.

ODI Ruffian lock ons. I liked the compound of the rubber and the feel. But I could never get them to lock down worth a darn and when using carbon bars, that skeered me!

Bontrager race light waffle slip ons. 64 grams, not too sticky and I like with the waffle design!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i would like a grip that absorbs vibration, im using specialized enduro grips on my epic and my hands are killing me at the end of the downhill sections

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The grips that came on my Enduro Pro SL were rubbish, thin and uncomfortable. Have you tried Ergon grips? They are amazing once you get used to them.

http://www.ergon-bike.com/en/grips/i...6gpn4jvq6v58b0

mtbr member
    All three of my mountain bikes have oury lock-ons. I simply will not ride with another grip on my bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    thanks guys ill check both out

mtbr member
    I use ESI chunky grips. Light, tacky, and won't throttle. Also, they tend to form to your hand since they are silicon. I take a lot of heat for these grips from my riding buddies, but I swear by them.
    NKAWTG

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    What do the lock-on grips do? What is the lock for?

Texan
    Quote Originally Posted by kster
    What do the lock-on grips do? What is the lock for?
    The grips are mounted on a tube and have a clamp on each end. You just put them on, tighten down the 2 screws and your good to go! Easy to install, easy to remove!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks for the explanation Gary.

Has anyone tried these Ritchey grips? They got good reviews:
    http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?p...jor=2&minor=31

mtbr member
    I dig the Oury Lock-On as well, although I understand the comment about how sticky they are. I have a pair of Pearl Izumi gloves (I wear L/XL gloves) for winter riding and they stick really "well" to the grips. For thinner grips, I like a set of Lizard Skins lock-ons but my favorite were a set of Sette 7 grips I got from www.pricepoint.com. When I ordered a set of Crossmax SL on clearance from them, I also got a set of grips for $4 or something like that. They worked great, but were a bit thin and wore the pattern out in around 4 months. After those, I tried the Oury out and was stunned at how great they are. Now, I have a new carbon bar and these, with the bar, are making me rethink getting a rigid singlespeed.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finski
    I use ESI chunky grips. Light, tacky, and won't throttle. Also, they tend to form to your hand since they are silicon. I take a lot of heat for these grips from my riding buddies, but I swear by them.
    ESI Chunky are quite simply the best grip ever made.
    Comfortable, lite, durable & won't throttle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacobus
    ESI Chunky are quite simply the best grip ever made.
    Comfortable, lite, durable & won't throttle.
    http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Grip/product_126184.shtml

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/166...=30&zmap=16678
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...s.aspx?sc=FRGL

Hmm, these could be promising. I might try these on a Bianchi MUSS I will be building up.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]kster
    I have the Ritchey foam grips, they are very tight and never move, they last a long time for foam, they pretty much absorb any vibration that the front suspension doesnít, theyíre very light, the end caps are allot stronger than most grips and I think they look very nice. One small complaint is how hard they are to get on by hand so you should definitely try to get some of that fast drying grip thingy to get them on, does any one know what that stuff is to get grips on?
    I would happily recommend them to you.

[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    I bought the ODI Rogue grips with the lock jaw clamps for my 07 SJ FSR Comp. and they are very uncomfortable on my hands. The rubber on these grips are very hard and as a result my hands feel like they are gripping steel as opposed a soft rubbery cushion. I will order the Yeti grip inserts in hope that they will be as comfortable as my old Yeti grips, which are the best grips I have ridden on so far.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    those ritchey grips look perfect, im going to have a look tomorrow to see if i can find them, my hands are getting tortured from what i have right now

Texan
    I like the look of those Ritcheys! Are they pretty fat?

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Not really, I donít think they are much fatter than other grips, if you were to compare them to ordinary specialized grips then they may be a couple mm thicker but they still arenít as thick as RACE FACE Good n Evil grips. On the other hand (no joke intended) I do have quite big hands.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    at this point ill go with the thickest vibration absorbing grip i can find

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]I think you will be very happy with them. They are allot more comfortable than my RACE FACE Good n Evil grips which you get allot more vibration on and my hands hurt after a couple of hours. Iím trying to get as many of these as I can for my bikes but the dealer is having trouble getting them.

What grips do you have at the mo?
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    specialized enduro, theyre ok but for the rocky downhills here im finding it torture when i get to the bottom, still theyre better than the stock xc grips my epic came with, COMPLETELY USELESS!!!!, my hands hurt for a week after

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Thatís what I took of mine stock, its like you are actually holding onto the handlebar with those, no cushioning at all.
    [/SIZE]

Calm Like a Bomb
    here's a list of my favorite grips in order

1. lizard skinz logo lock ons - nice and grippy..sweet feel for my hands, not as cushy as others but i like the feel
    2. odi rogue lock ons - good grip and cushy
    3. oury lock ons - decent grip and cushy
    4. odi ruffian lock ons - not so grippy from time to time, not cushy, dislike the feel
    5. stock specialized grips that came on stumpy and demo - cushy but found the rubber would move a bit (the grips didn't turn on the bar it was just the rubber moving a smidge)

the new "peaty" grips by lizard skinz look good....would like to try them someday
    Carbon Wilson
    Carbon Troy

mtbr member
    ODI Rogue Lock-Ons. The enduro grips on my sx trail were crap and the first thing changed on the the bike. I love my Rogues, althrough the lizard skinz look good too.
    Too tired and sore to ride...so...who wants to go riding?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i bought some foam grips today, they arent the ritchey ones but they look similar, i wont know how good they are till i start hitting the downhills, they arent as fat as id like but they feel more plush than the enduro ones i was using

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Which ones did you go for? Iíve only ever seen Bontrager and Ritchey in the UK.
    [/SIZE]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast