mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Got my wheels tonight!

Man, I love these. I'll snap some pics them on the bike in the daylight tomorrow. These pics were taken by my buddy who built them for me. I installed my Hope headset tonight too.

Hope pro II Hubs ( I love the sound) and Mavic 819 hoops.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by oldskoolm4; 02-20-2008 at 03:54 AM.
    Livin' the dream.

bao
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    enjoy em, performance and looks are almost at par with kings..cant beat the value though!!

Go outside!
    How much do they weigh?

mtbr member
    oldskoolm4 nice wheels but crap, there is NO legroom in the back seat of your car

Wait, what!?
    Doesnt matter, as long as youre driving!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by stylie
    oldskoolm4 nice wheels but crap, there is NO legroom in the back seat of your car

haha, thats not my car, thats my buddies who built 'em up for me. He snapped the pic on his way up to the shop to drop them off. I have a quad cab
    Livin' the dream.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolm4
    haha, thats not my car, thats my buddies who built 'em up for me. He snapped the pic on his way up to the shop to drop them off. I have a quad cab

ha! Then you are more then set! You've got a bad-a$$ wheel set and a ride with enough room in the back for a party for all the wait staff from Hooters

Now with More Wood
    Nice coincidence - I picked up my new rear today as well (the front was done a couple weeks ago). Hope Pro II rear, original Spesh Stout on front (Enduro SL had no choice with the e150 fork) - laced with Wheelsmith 2mm spokes to Halo Freedom rims. They feel indestructible (after only the first ride, but still)...and I gotta agree with you on the sound of that Pro II freehub...

Enjoy!!!

mtbr member
    I should be receiving my new rear wheel tomorrow, hopefully. Roger Musson from Wheelpro is building it :-)

DT Swiss 240s rear hub
    Black DT Swiss Comp spokes
    DT Swiss XR2.4D rim
    Hope stainless steel QR skewer (black of course)

Then I'm taking my spangly new wheels off to Spain to give them a pasting
    2008 Enduro Expert
    2010 Santa Cruz Blur LT
    2013 Yeti SB66 (WIP)

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058
    Nice coincidence - I picked up my new rear today as well (the front was done a couple weeks ago). Hope Pro II rear, original Spesh Stout on front (Enduro SL had no choice with the e150 fork) - laced with Wheelsmith 2mm spokes to Halo Freedom rims. They feel indestructible (after only the first ride, but still)...and I gotta agree with you on the sound of that Pro II freehub...

Enjoy!!!

Man, great minds think alike, eh? It sounds pretty cool going through the woods and running up on someone, haha. I had my first real ride on them today, and man, they roll sooo much nicer than my crossmax. Have fun on 'em! Post a pic up!
    Livin' the dream.

mtbr member
    Man, I love these. I'll snap some pics them on the bike in the daylight tomorrow. These pics were taken by my buddy who built them for me. I installed my Hope headset tonight too.

Hope pro II Hubs ( I love the sound) and Mavic 819 hoops.
    Two questions....

How much did they cost?

What are you going to do with your old rim sets?

mtbr member
    The Hope Pro II's sound has been described as anything from loud and annoying to not-too-bad and nice. I was dead set on my next wheelset with Hope hubs and Mavic 719's. I am now 2nd guessing the hubs.

BTW, youtube has several videos of Hope Pro II's and they are downright scary.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Concho
    Two questions....

How much did they cost?

What are you going to do with your old rim sets?

Cant really say how much I paid for them, but heres a ballpark of what they retail for.
    Hubs 180 rear 80 front
    Rims Mavic 819's go for about 75 each, I've seen 'em cheaper, I've seen 'em for more.
    Spokes DT's go for about 24 bucks per wheel
    Then roll a build cost in there.

I'm going to end up selling my old set, I have another set I'm going to use for back-ups. They are Mavic Crossmax. I'm trying to sell alot of my stuff as a package deal. Epic frame, crossmax wheels, Specialized seatpost and XTR front dérailleur. Good start on a nice build for someone.
    Livin' the dream.

The Other Dude
    Very Nice wheelset, i have the same setup on my SX Trail for all mountain rides, they are super stiff, and they have awesome engagement, and the front hub is nice because you can run either the 20mm or QR setups in the front with a cheap conversion kit.

Lumbee, what do you mean they are scary, are they breaking or whats going on? I am on my 2nd wheelset built with hope hubs, and have yet to have any issues, maybe i am lucky, but if they are breaking i dont wanna risk it!
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    No, they are not breaking. It's just the sound they make. I am still running the original full-O'-drag LX rear hub on my Stumpy, and although not the best, they are super quiet compared to most anything else. Videos of the Pro II's sound like mini-hammers banging inside the aluminum shell.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oLc4571a8K0
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=LG_97-QfRRQ

Now with More Wood
    Man, great minds think alike, eh? It sounds pretty cool going through the woods and running up on someone, haha. I had my first real ride on them today, and man, they roll sooo much nicer than my crossmax. Have fun on 'em! Post a pic up!
    Yeah, my wheels roll sooooo much nicer than the old 4.1s they replaced, that's for sure.

As for picutres, I just put a thread up with some new pics of my bike, with the new wheels on it:

Endure SL DH version

And the sound of the Pro II? Well, uhm ,yeah, it's pretty loud . It won't be bothering ME much, since I'm usually in a full face. Innocent bystanders could probably get quite annoyed quite quickly.