Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Got my new 2013 Roval Controls today

7K views 33 replies 12 participants last post by  GnarBrahWyo 
#1 ·
First major upgrade for my '12 Stumpy Evo 29 HT. The new 2013 Roval Control wheels. Only difference is the color schemes this year, mine are black/white. A lot better than that red spoke deal they did last year. Also changed out the Purgatory and Ground Control for a Renegade Control 1.95 (rear) and a S-Works Fast Track 2.0 (front). Trails have been dry and these should help me fly. A little weird looking down and seeing such a skinny front tire! Lost over 1 pound with the upgrade. Bike now weights in ~23.5 lbs on the bathroom scale. Trying out tomorrow night. The wheels are great, very light and seem stiffer than the Traverse/HiLo stock set up. A little bummed that the new wheels don't come with 9mm Skraxle end caps, oh well.

#9 ·
Nice looking bike man. I like how the white on the rims go with your shock and everything else is blacked out. If I had my way and money wasn't an issue, I would have gone with the blacked out Sworks Epic frame. I'm a big fan of the murdered out look.

Did your wheels come with the 18 or 36 point star ratchet? I went from a 15 POE hub to a 30 POE stans hub and really noticed the difference on POE and I don't think I will be able to go back. I'll probably upgrade to the 36 point ratchet after a while if I think it is justified. I really don't know why the 36 point star wouldn't be in the hubs if they are supposed to be the super high end wheels that Specialized is selling.

#10 ·
I have no idea of the hub's POE, I know its higher than the HiLo that came off. I am pumped to ride them this weekend. Lost over a pound with this wheelset/tires.

#11 ·
These are 24mm vs. the 26mm Traverse rims on the stockers. Harder to get the tires to air up b/c the bead of the tires won't cover the valve stem easily, just a little wrestling and they went with a floor pump.

#13 ·
Ride report. Not a big change beyond the louder free hub. The higher POE is nice. They are stiffer to me than the Traverse stockers they replaced. I burped my rear Renegade on a bad line choice, just lost a little air. With the more narrow tires it's clear that I can't run as low of pressure as I was with the wider stock tires. Finally, the tires work great and rolling resistance is certainly less. No issues with traction or cornering so I think this combo is a winner. Final comment, it's always nice to loose over a pound of weight!

#15 ·
The shop I bought the bike at gave me a smokin' deal...not cool to post that so I can just say less than the MSRP of $700. Sorry I can't be more specific.

#16 ·
TiGeo, anymore feedback on the wheels? I see you've had them for quite some time. I see that you said you burped them with the 1.95 Renegades...what sort of pressure where you running when you burped? I ask because I am really interested in these wheels, but the minimum recommended pressure has me a bit wary of being able to run the pressures I like.

I recently got the S-Works Renegades in 29x2.3, and actually really like them. I had been running the 1.95's since I built the bike this past summer at around 20-22psi with tubes. I've found that the 2.3's are riding very well for me at 15psi with tubes...(don't balk, I kid you not).

Just looking for some real feedback about how these wheels performed, and if you have gone below the 25 psi minimum? And also to say, grab a set of 29x2.3 Renegades...they're awesome!

**Edit, I'm just realizing/seeing that your wheels aren't the carbon/hookless bead ones. Sorry for the mistake.

#19 ·
TiGeo, anymore feedback on the wheels? I see you've had them for quite some time. I see that you said you burped them with the 1.95 Renegades...what sort of pressure where you running when you burped? I ask because I am really interested in these wheels, but the minimum recommended pressure has me a bit wary of being able to run the pressures I like.

I recently got the S-Works Renegades in 29x2.3, and actually really like them. I had been running the 1.95's since I built the bike this past summer at around 20-22psi with tubes. I've found that the 2.3's are riding very well for me at 15psi with tubes...(don't balk, I kid you not).

Just looking for some real feedback about how these wheels performed, and if you have gone below the 25 psi minimum? And also to say, grab a set of 29x2.3 Renegades...they're awesome!

**Edit, I'm just realizing/seeing that your wheels aren't the carbon/hookless bead ones. Sorry for the mistake.
I was around 20 (probably less) and I pushed it hard in a whoop-d-doo when it burped. I am running 22-23 now with no issues. I weight 165. I run the front around 22 with no issues.

The wheels perform great; did an 18 hour race with them in Sept. Knocked the rear out of true slightly slamming into a root at night with my @ss on the seat so I rim-checked pretty bad. Trued right up with no issues. They are great wheels and I would buy again.

The 2.3 Renegades may be a good dry condition choice next year and should be large-volume to soften up the ride a bit.

#17 ·
Ti Geo-

I've had the Purgatory/Ground control combo on my last two bikes( my EVo and my stumpy) and am thinking of going to a ground control front and fast trak rear on my stumpy. Could you see a big difference in rolling resistance going to your current setup?

#20 ·
I've found that the Renegades (both sizes, but even more with the 2.3's ) do better than expected when it's damp. I wouldnt ride them in goopy conditions, but then again, I don't bother riding when it's like that anyway. They're a little skatey here and there, but predictable.

#21 ·
I agree, the Renegade (I run it as a rear tire) works fine most of the time, however, with the current level of leaves on the trail, the knobs are not tall enough to get a good bite into the soil beneath and I slip quite a bit. I am likely going to drop the Purg/Ground Control combo back on until the leaves are gone.

#22 ·
Ha! I hear ya. I found exactly that a few weeks ago when the leaves were a little more heavy. Did a few two wheel drifts when I pushed, but I never felt too bad on em.

Are you having trouble with the Fasttrak? (that's what you have up front, right?) I've never used them, and wish the casing was just a little larger on the 2.2. It's about the same size as the Renegade 1.95. Just wondering if that's what isn't giving you any bite.

#25 ·
I assume that you are talking about rims since you can get Stans wheels built with Dt Swiss hubs from Stans and Roval wheels often come with DT Swiss internals. I haven't heard much of anything about DT Swiss rims being run tubeless and Stans and Roval rims seem to have had a decent amount of success being run tubeless. Going to the DT Swiss site I don't see prices on their rims, but they only have one model under 1700 grams that isn't carbon and they don't list the price for it.

#33 ·
At 220 I'm not the lightest (but often the fastest on the track), and I have great success with American Classic (alu rims at 1600g), with Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35 in the front and Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25 in the rear. I run them tubeless and approx. 24/26 psi. Compared to the Roval rims, they are cheaper and only 10g heavier per rim..
Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

#34 ·
At 220 I'm not the lightest (but often the fastest on the track), and I have great success with American Classic (alu rims at 1600g), with Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35 in the front and Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25 in the rear. I run them tubeless and approx. 24/26 psi. Compared to the Roval rims, they are cheaper and only 10g heavier per rim..
View attachment 745343
What do those cos t and where do you find them?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.