Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Good price for used 96' Stumpjumper?

925 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  bifford 
#1 ·
Can you guys help me out?
I'm trying to get a good used bike and am looking at a 96' Specialized M2 Stumpjumper with Dart2 front suspension in good shape.
How much do you think it's worth? The guy is asking $450 but willing to negotiate.

Thanks,
John

#2 ·
That would depend alot on the condition of the bike.

Take it to a LBS if your not sure and find out what all you need for it.

I bought a Stumpjumper FSR XC (2000) for $240 but had to spend another $240 to fix all the parts and tune it.

I needed a new rear wheel, new chain, and some other parts.

#6 ·
OMG! You people are insane! I don't normally frequent this forum, as I am not a Specialized rider, but I had to jump in on this particular thread.

I don't know if you realize this, but a bike from 1996 is TWELVE YEARS OLD!!! That is old. Personally, I would not pay more than $100 for this bike. I tend to think most people would agree. A LOT has changed in 12 years. Sure, the bike says "Specialized" on the side, but it is NOT the same thing as a new Specialized. Even if the bike has all XT parts on it, it is XT from 1996, which is about the equivalent of junk in todays world. Sure it may have been good parts at the time, but it has been ridden for 12 years!!! If you only have $400 to spend, get a new Hardrock Sport. Not only will the bike perform better than a vintage 12 year old bike, but you will also get all the perks of a new bike. . .Warranty, service, etc.

The used bike market is very weird. If a bike is over 10 years old, I'd say it's worthless. You have to realize that parts have a lifespan. Springs wear out in derailleurs, internals wear out on shifters, cassettes wear, chainrings wear out, and aluminum frames don't last forever. I would offer the guy $100, because you will end up dumping at least another $300 into this bike over the next year.

Just my 2 cents, but I would avoid this bike. Every used bike that is for sale is always "Hardly used, like new, shop maintained, never ridden because it was too big/small/wifes bike." I'm just saying that no one ever says that they rode the crap out of their bike for 5 years, they were the second owner, after the first rider trashed the bike for 3 years, but they cleaned it up REALLY well.

Avoid!

#7 ·
I'm with Sony on this one. Save your money for a real rig. Get a payment plan or something at an LBS - plenty of good bikes out there for $1000 or less and the base technology today far outstrips even the XTR stuff of the 90's. Don't waste your cash or time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.