mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Good deal on Stumpy Expert 120? Also, what's it weigh?

Hi there,

I can pick up a new 05' Stumpy Expert FSR 120 for $1875 locally: is this worth biting on? Seems like a pretty fair price, but I am not sure if there are better deals to be had out there. I test rode it on some curbs/stairs nearby, and the bike felt very nice (they wouldn't let me demo it, though).

Also, what is the weight of the bike stock (in a Medium?) It felt about 29lbs, but the shop didn't have a scale. Anyone get theirs down to 27lbs with nice (but not exotic) parts, say XT/Maguras/DT 240/X819 UST wheels (which is the build I would like to use)? I would probably sell the Juicy's/LX parts on ebay, while they are still new, and install my current XT/Magura/DT 240/Thomson kit). I would like to be under 27lbs on this bike, as I am more of an all-day rider and don't like to lug around too much extra weight....

mtbr member

Buy it.

I've had mine about 10 months. I love it. I don't have the skills to really test it, but I've put some 3-5 hour rides on that bad boy. I weigh about 215 lbs and ride the medium. I paid $2300 and it listed at $2600. As you probably know the Septune flopped (read numerous post). As far as bike weight I don't know. I rode it stock until recently, when i found a new XT cassette in my basement and bought a Mavic CrossLand. Seems to meyoucan't go wrongfor the money. Especially, if you swap and sell the OEM parts. Looks like you can gat a sweet SJ Expert 120 sub $1600. DO IT

mechmann_mtb
    my wife's 05 Stumpy Expert is around 27lbs. XT cassette, XTR cranks, light tires (Kenda Kharma Stick-E), crank bros pedals, some Ti and Al hardware.

she loves her bike.

mtbr member
    That's a really great price! I picked one up about 3 months ago at the Supergo blow out sale for about $2,100 and I though I got a good deal.

Gravity Rides Everything
    good price. buy it.

mine is 28.5 lbs with time alium pedals (heavy), mono M4 200/180mm brakes (not light) and a bashguard on the chainrings.

i'd say if you swapped out the wheels and maybe a couple other parts you'd be lookin at 27 no problem. it's a sweet ride. Push your shock after a season or so.

mtbr member

"steal' sounds like the word best fit

Do it! The septune is totally workable. Yes, bad press. Yes, lots of folks out there don't own shock pumps, too. If you don't have one, get one, and use it. Was it UK who said he heard from the FOX uk rep to adjust in 2-3# increments to get it just right...and I did & I'm perfectly happy.
    That build sounds like you should get to your weight goal. THe 05 120 is a few grams lighter (accord to spesh & MBA) than the 04 100mm that I also have, and after the Thomson post, carbon bar, new tires it was around 28#, maybe high 27's. Even so, I ride half day rides & felt great on the bike.

Jw

Quote Originally Posted by dawgcatching
    Hi there,

I can pick up a new 05' Stumpy Expert FSR 120 for $1875 locally: is this worth biting on? Seems like a pretty fair price, but I am not sure if there are better deals to be had out there. I test rode it on some curbs/stairs nearby, and the bike felt very nice (they wouldn't let me demo it, though).

Also, what is the weight of the bike stock (in a Medium?) It felt about 29lbs, but the shop didn't have a scale. Anyone get theirs down to 27lbs with nice (but not exotic) parts, say XT/Maguras/DT 240/X819 UST wheels (which is the build I would like to use)? I would probably sell the Juicy's/LX parts on ebay, while they are still new, and install my current XT/Magura/DT 240/Thomson kit). I would like to be under 27lbs on this bike, as I am more of an all-day rider and don't like to lug around too much extra weight....
    Beer has food value. Food has no beer value.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker75
    Do it! The septune is totally workable. Yes, bad press. Yes, lots of folks out there don't own shock pumps, too.
    Jw
    The Septune is OK, but it is still a downgrade from the Triad. No matter how much fiddling you do with your shock pump, you will still not have a lockout.

Specialized refuses to admit to 2005 FSR owners that there is any problem with the Triad, but many people did not like it and Specialized acknowledged the problem by dumping the Septune and returning to the Triad after only one year.

Back on topic, that is a good price for a 2005 FSR 120 Expert. Other than the Septune, it is a great bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    That is a killer deal. I thought the 2160.00 I paid was good. I find the Septune to have too many settings so I just use two. As far as lock-out, I couldn't see ever using it myself unless I was climbing on super smooth fire road or the like, which I don't. I climb just as fast as I did on my HT ( though I wouldn't say fast is appropriate) but it is much easier and smoother. My XL weighs 29 with a few minor changes.
    It's a Sledgehammer...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RobG
    As far as lock-out, I couldn't see ever using it myself unless I was climbing on super smooth fire road or the like, which I don't.
    Lots of rides here in western Oregon involve long climbs on fireroads to do singletrack descents on trails that are difficult if not impossible to ride uphill on. That is where I really miss the lockout that my 2004 FSR 100 had. Specialized admits that dumping the lockout so they could give us 7 different Pro-pedal settings was a mistake, as evidenced by the fact that they are back to the Triad for 2006.

The Septune isn't awful, but it is pointless and a significant downgrade from the Triad. I assumed Specialized had some good reason to make this change in 2005 and had done their homework. Apparently they did not. They should step up to the plate with some type of trade-in program so that 2005 FSR owners could swap to a Triad if they chose. I would even be willing to pay a reasonable fee to do this.

Those who like the Septune would certainly be under no pressure to take part in such a program if they didn't want to.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Lots of rides here in western Oregon involve long climbs on fireroads to do singletrack descents on trails that are difficult if not impossible to ride uphill on.
    I just don't encounter that. It does have too many settings though. I use 7 to climb or "dead zone" to descend. With the all Triad kudos it does make you wonder why they changed it

They should step up to the plate with some type of trade-in program so that 2005 FSR owners could swap to a Triad if they chose
    Have you ever asked them about it? Maybe with enough people demanding it...
    It's a Sledgehammer...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I use 7 to climb or "dead zone" to descend.
    That is exactly how I use my Septune, and I'll bet it is how a majority of other Septune owners use theirs. I know some people do purport to be able to detect a difference in settings, but I am not one of those people. My impression is that even those who use more than one propedal setting certainly don't use more than 2 or 3 of them.

Have you ever asked them about it? Maybe with enough people demanding it...
    Yes, I sent a detailed email to customer service the other day, explaining that I have purchased a total of 8 Stumpjumpers from Specialized dealers since about 1988, and thought that being such a loyal customer, they might want to work with me on this.

Here is the response I got:

"Hello, We appreciate your business and brand loyalty. but we are not trading the Septune shocks for the new Triad shock. We can not even do it for a dedicated customer such as yourself. The only reason we switched back to the Triad is because there was a demand for a shock with a lock-out not because there was anything wrong with the septune."

This is illogical. There is indeed something "wrong" with the Septune, compared to the shock they replaced it with, and then went back to one year later: It doesn't have a lockout! I understand that many people (you are one of them) may not need a lockout, but it is optional.

The point is that the Septune was poorly thought out, and Specialized tacitly admitted this be dumping it after only one year and going back to the Triad. They ought to be more honest about this and work with those of us that really miss the lockout. They now offer a Triad that fits our bikes, but we can't get one. LAME.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The only reason we switched back to the Triad is because there was a demand for a shock with a lock-out not because there was anything wrong with the septune."
    Nothing wrong with it, just not what people want it would seem. Wonder if PUSH could make "7" super stiff and "1" and/or the dead zone basically open
    It's a Sledgehammer...