DrQ
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Good deal on an '07 Stumpy FSR elite?

Went to my LBS yesterday and they are ordering an '07 Stumpjumper FSR elite for me to try out. They gave me a price of $2100, seems like a good deal to me. Any thoughts on the bike?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Smile I like my Elite

I picked up a Large Elite last spring and have been loving it, my only complaint was with the hefty rear hub/cassette where the cone nut would loosen after a few hours of riding and the rear wheel would wobble a bit. I fixed the nut with a little blue loctite and the heft issue with an XT cassette and have had no issues since. I've taken the bike on multi day trips, 24 hour races, tons of trails and a bike vacation in Vermont with no problems other than the nut mentioned above.

I found the bike to be much tougher and moto-feeling than I had anticipated; it is able to handle jumps, drops, downhills and corners with way more speed than my XC race hardtail ever could. At the same time it is not a pig on the uphills as it climbs very well when in the ProPedal position on the rear shock, even when the rear shock is open it doesn't bob much at all. I do feel the weight though (mine is down to 27 lbs from 28.5) when compared to my race bike (22.5 lbs) when climbing but the suspension gives you the option to take any line you want as it's always active.
    The Talas RL up front is a great fork with 100-120-140 mm of travel (120 is the sweet spot) that is plenty stiff laterally and has a nice progressive feel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I bought a 2007 Stumpjumper expert for $2168.00 at my LBS in January! It seems that you could probably get a better deal than that for the elite!!! I can't remember what the MSRP was for the elite (probably $2100). I know LBS are willing to give swinging deals this time of year on last years models. You should discuss this with the salesman! For that price they should at least throw in some shoes, helmet, and clothing. Your doing them a favor by buying last years model. Also are they ordering this from the Specialized warehouse or is this on the floor? Be persistant with the LBS, they really do want to get rid of it if it's on the floor.

DrQ
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    They are ordering it from the warehouse and it normally retails for $2900

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrQ
    They are ordering it from the warehouse and it normally retails for $2900

MSRP is 2800, and you must ride a XL cuz i just logged into our dealer account and thats all they have in stock in both warehouses. id say its a good deal. if that other poster who claims to have got a expert for 2100 really did,(i dont believe it) his shop will be out of bussiness very soon.

DrQ
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks, it is an XL, thank god I'm a giant.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas
    MSRP is 2800, and you must ride a XL cuz i just logged into our dealer account and thats all they have in stock in both warehouses. id say its a good deal. if that other poster who claims to have got a expert for 2100 really did,(i dont believe it) his shop will be out of bussiness very soon.
    --Mark up on these bike is approx. 40% to 50% I'm sure my LBS ate a little (most likely very little) on this but if your a good customer and frequent your LBS they are willing to deal. This is my fifth bike I have bought from them. Customer appreciation is key for LBS. If you think this is a good deal then go for it! I'm not telling you don't buy the bike, I'm just informing you that most shops are willing to give you great deals on 07 models. $800.00 is an ok deal but not earth shattering! I know you can get a 08 elite for around that same price (~$2400.00 out the door, MSRP $2900.00) right now if you are in good with your LBS. I will say this, that is a great bike! I almost bought that same bike myself but decided on the expert for the Brain!
    Last edited by Btlr461; 03-04-2008 at 04:00 PM.

mtbr member
    hello from a fellow Texan! I love my '07 Stumpy expert!
    2010 SC Blur XCc

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Purs
    hello from a fellow Texan! I love my '07 Stumpy expert!
    It is a great bike! I haven' t had it on many trails yet due to the wet weather in the midwest right now. I think the 07 model is much better than the 08's, I was able to test both before buying.

DrQ
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully I'll be a proud owner soon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thats a great deal. I paid $2400.00 + tax back in May 2007.