mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Going 1x10 on Stumpjumper Comp FSR 29

Looking to convert my SJ FSR to 1x10. What would I need other than a chainring and removing the front derailleur? I would use a narrow wide chainring.
    Vassago Verhauen SS
    2013 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2014 Stumpjumper Evo HT
    2014 Tarmac Elite

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    A clutch derailleur. I'd suggest a Shimano XT Shadow Plus, or Zee Shadow Plus.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Already have an x9 type 2. So that's it then?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Vassago Verhauen SS
    2014 Stumpjumper Evo HT
    2014 Tarmac Elite

mtbr member

Yea it should be, if you want you could also get one of those giant cogs wolf tooth makes if you don't have a low enough gear for the climbs. Replaces 17 tooth cog and you add on a 42 tooth on the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have the Evo version of the same bike. I dropped the front derailleur, roller guide, and granny gear. Put a Wolftooth 32 tooth chainring on along with a BBG bash guard, and am loving life. I ride very rocky terrain, here in Las Vegas, and have not had one chain drop issue.

Also, if you want a larger front chainring, the X9 derailleur is already close to its max.
    Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm good with 32/36. That's what I run on my evo HT. I have no use for the small chainring. Thanks for the info. Did you keep the same cranks and all? I was deciding between 32t wolf or SRAM x01

Vassago Verhauen SS
    2014 Stumpjumper Evo HT
    2014 Tarmac Elite

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I kept the cranks. More of a money thing, as I wanted to do other upgrades. It was a simple conversion and haven't regretted anything.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Happen to have a picture?

Vassago Verhauen SS
    2014 Stumpjumper Evo HT
    2014 Tarmac Elite

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I can post one up tomorrow night. Whole drivetrain?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    If you dont mind.
    Looks like the wolfs are sold out. Will this work?
    Amazon.com: SRAM X01 104BCD 1x11-Speed Chain Ring: Sports & Outdoors
    Vassago Verhauen SS
    2014 Stumpjumper Evo HT
    2014 Tarmac Elite

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I don't have much experience with the Sram setup. It seems like it would do the job. Maybe someone else that has used it can chime in.

There is a thread here on Mtbr, can't remember where, that listed off several other companies that make narrow-wide chainrings. Raceface, but I can't remember any more.

mtbr member

The most popular ones are wolf tooth race face and absolute black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

I just converted to 1x10 with a mid cage x9 and love it. Im using a wolf tooth front ring and have had 0 issues. I have a new 104 BCD 30 tooth ring (wolfs tooth) if interested.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks Philip, but I'm looking for a 32t. Glad to hear everything has worked for you. What bike are you on?
    Vassago Verhauen SS
    2014 Stumpjumper Evo HT
    2014 Tarmac Elite

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Niner jet 9

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have a stock 12 fsr comp 29. I want to do this but need someone to guide me. Want to do it the cheapest way hoping to drop some weight by removinging chain ring, Derailur, and shifter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have a stock 12 fsr comp 29. I want to do this but need someone to guide me. Want to do it the cheapest way hoping to drop some weight by removinging chain ring, Derailur, and shifter. Do I need chain guides and tensioners? Any one have pictures of setups?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Got my Chainring in yesterday, waiting on my new chain. Old one has some bent links anyway. Should be installing in the next couple of days. I'll post pics when I'm done.
    Vassago Verhauen SS
    2014 Stumpjumper Evo HT
    2014 Tarmac Elite

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggerfam View Post
    I have a stock 12 fsr comp 29. I want to do this but need someone to guide me. Want to do it the cheapest way hoping to drop some weight by removinging chain ring, Derailur, and shifter. Do I need chain guides and tensioners? Any one have pictures of setups?
    You can just buy a chainguide if you want, that would be the cheapest way. I had an Epic with an XX drivetrain and used a standard ring and an E13 chainguide and never dropped a chain. XX derailleur was not a type 2 and the chainring was not a narrow wide. You can definitely do it cheaper than buying a new derailleur AND chainring. Of course, this will depend on your terrain. I live in upstate NY so the trails aren't brutal, but definitely have bounced it around quite a bit with no issue whatsoever.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    I rode my Enduro Evo at Whistler with a Raceface 34t wide-narrow front ring and an x9 type 2 RD and no guide and never dropped a chain.

With a 29er I'd probably go with a 30t front ring or you will have a tough time on any steep or extended climbs.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by erichwic View Post
    You can just buy a chainguide if you want, that would be the cheapest way. I had an Epic with an XX drivetrain and used a standard ring and an E13 chainguide and never dropped a chain. XX derailleur was not a type 2 and the chainring was not a narrow wide. You can definitely do it cheaper than buying a new derailleur AND chainring. Of course, this will depend on your terrain. I live in upstate NY so the trails aren't brutal, but definitely have bounced it around quite a bit with no issue whatsoever.

So get this: E13 XCX BB Chainguide | E13 | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

Then remove my inner chain ring? I would like to drop the bash guard too. I am guess i am going to need some new chainring spacers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggerfam View Post
    So get this: E13 XCX BB Chainguide | E13 | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

Then remove my inner chain ring? I would like to drop the bash guard too. I am guess i am going to need some new chainring spacers.
    That's basically what I had but since I had an Epic it was direct mount. So i'm not exactly sure what model chainguide you'd use but if that one will fit, then yes, that is all you really need. I didn't have a type 2 derailleur or a narrow wide chainring and had zero issues. I'm sure a type 2 derailleur is optimal, but I didn't go that route.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Finally did the conversion with the wolf tooth ring. It's quiet and definitely shaved some weight off. Liking it a lot so far. I think I need another link removed from my chain though.
    Going 1x10 on Stumpjumper Comp FSR 29-img_20140302_183439.jpg
    Vassago Verhauen SS
    2014 Stumpjumper Evo HT
    2014 Tarmac Elite

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by KillinTheSingleTrack View Post
    I have the Evo version of the same bike. I dropped the front derailleur, roller guide, and granny gear. Put a Wolftooth 32 tooth chainring on along with a BBG bash guard, and am loving life. I ride very rocky terrain, here in Las Vegas, and have not had one chain drop issue.

Also, if you want a larger front chainring, the X9 derailleur is already close to its max.
    Enjoy!
    The size of the front chainring does not affect the rear derailleur. Just use a longer chain