mtbr member
    Feb 2007

New question here. Globe Sport vs Crosstrail???

Okay so I'm a noob to "nicer" bikes and I want to get a hybrid. Something I can take on light trails grave etc... but that I can use for fitness, communting, and joy riding. I think I've narrowed it down to two bikes. The first is the 07 Globe Sport. I test rode this bike on the street and light trail and liked it a lot. It was a fast bike which I really liked, but it did have a little bit of a ..harsh ride. "stiff is probably the best word. Then I found a LBS with the crosstrail. Impressive bike, but since we just got a snow storm, couldn't take it out for a test ride. I will later this week. My question is will the Crosstrail (29ers on it) be as fast as the Globe Sport (700c but thinner tires). I know the crosstrail is a "better" bike looking at teh components, but will it be as fast on the rode as the Globe Sport?

Anyone have experience with them both???

mtbr member

Road or Dirt?

If you get a hybrid bike you get the worst of both worlds. It will not perform good off road or on. If your going to be riding mostly on the road get a road bike. If you prefer dirt riding get a mtb. A hybrib is too slow/heavy for road riding and not really built to take on off road/dirt riding. Just my 2 cents!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Brainstump,
    Thanks I appreciate the reply. What do people commute in though? I would think it would be a bit taxing riding a full suspension bike into work everyday and it would be a bit jarring riding a road bike especially through the streets of DC! Do most people go one way or the other???

The Other Dude
    I think the the crosstail would be the way to go. That front fork is nice no matter where you ride, the tires have a bit more volume too, so that will also smooth out your ride, and i think the crosstail is tad lighter. I rode one at the shop the other day, and i was pleasantly surprised with it. I was planning on getting a langster as a commuter bike for myself, but the crosstail is giving it some competition now.

Bottom line, on a commuter, comfort is king, which ever ones fits and feels the best to you, is the one you want to go with, you want a bike that you will feel comfortable and confident on for you commute.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Thanks!

jut8,
    Thanks! You make a lot of sense. So you rode one too and liked it. Considering your variety of bikes, that's saying a lot. The weather has cleared up a bit here, so I think I'll test ride both tomorrow. I will make sure I look at comfort vice "cool" or "speed". Thanks again. I'll let everyone know what I get. Who knows, maybe there's another noob who's looking for the same thing. --nagrad99
    Last edited by nagrad99; 02-27-2007 at 06:33 PM.