mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Was given a 2004 Stumpjumper M4 frame.. Have some questions

I was over at a friends house tonight working on their son's atv. When I went to leave he gave me a 2004 stumpjumper m4 frame for lending him a hand. Its just the frame and shock. Shock was just rebuild and no play in the bearings.

I was thinking I would use my 2011 gt avalanche 1.0 for donor parts since it only has about 20iles on it. I think most of the parts will interchange. I know I need a 30.9 seat post to start. I am not sure if the bottom bracket will fit or not. I plan on running 1x9 so I don't need a front derailer.

Any help would be great. I am just trying to do a budget build. I do not plan on racing but want it to be durable. I just do some single track with my boys so their are tons of logs, roots and rocks.

Love4Mtns
    May 2009

Good job! Headset, shifter cable / housing

I really enjoy projects like this. I've looked at the components that came stock on your GT (http://www.gtbicycles.com/media/pdf/g_11_Catalog.pdf) and the only part other than the seat post that stands out as being not compatible with the stumpy frame is the Zero-Stack headset. I'd recommend the least expensive Cane-Creek model you can find (economical quality). You will probably need to run a new cable and housing for your rear derailleur as it will be taking a new path.

That frame plus the GT's parts are going to make a great bike. Good luck and have fun building and riding

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The headset is still zip tied in the frame, so I just have to make sure everything is there and is in good shape. I haven't gotten a chance to compare everything to the GT yet. Thanks for all of your information.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Post pics of the build, I'd love to see it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    My GT is a 2011 but all of the parts are different then what the specs say. I checked all of the specs for 2010,2011 and 2012. No of them Merck what I have.

After playing with the cranks for an hour, I went to the LBS and invested some tools for it. 5 minutes later it was off. I will start the build tomorrow and post pics as I go. Trying to keep the price down as much as possible so I will not be using tons of expensive parts.

Love4Mtns
    May 2009
    Yep, that's how it starts. In my experience, if you enjoy fixing you own bike (and eventually many of your friends bikes) then the tools are more than worth it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sean.designs.bikes View Post
    Yep, that's how it starts. In my experience, if you enjoy fixing you own bike (and eventually many of your friends bikes) then the tools are more than worth it.

+1! In most cases you cant BEGIN to tear into a project without proper tools. Even if you only want to make adjustments and maintenence (not even a build) the tools are a MUST. there are basic inexpensive kits that will get you going an the OP can upgrade as needed....

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I got most of the bike together. I removed the bottom bracket on the old frame and realized it had a little play in it. So I bought a new bottom bracket and the LBS installed it for free.

I still have to order the bash guard and inner guard today. Then I need to adjust the rear shock air pressure, fine tune the shifting and set the stem height before I cut it down. I only rode it around my yard for a few minutes and it feels a lot better than the old frame.

Everything from the the GT Avalanche swapped over except for needing a longer rear cable and seat post. I spent about 50 in parts to get this together not including the tools I needed. Thanks for everyones help.

Here is a before and after pic.

Before

After