mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Ghost-shifting on 2005 Stumpy FSR Expert

I just started having a problem with my 2005 Expert 120 Stumpy FSR. When the bike is in the stand I can change gears with no problems. However when I am riding and applying a downward force the bike is ghost shifting. It won't stay in a gear. It looks like the rear derallier is moving left to right everytime force is applied to the rear shock. I need help.

mtbr member
    Do you have an XTR rear derailleur (low-normal)? It sounds like you may not have enough cable tension and the derailleur is skipping down under load.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have an XTR. I just had a LBS replace my chain and rear cassette. Now I'm having the problem. The LBS does not have experience with Specialized, mostly Giant, Trek. What do you think should be done and explain why. Thanks.

This is bat country.

I would check a few things

Since the chain and cassette are new, we don't need to worry about those items.

First off, as posted above, play with the cable tension. Start at the barrel adjusters - give a few turns while you're riding around outside. Index through the gears to give the cable a chance to set into those small adjustments.

If that doesn't fix it, the cheapest and easiest thing will be to clean out your rear derailleur lines and wipe down the cable to ensure nothing is gunked up. While you have the cable out, take a look at the derailleur cage from behind. Make sure it isn't bent. Next, take a look at the derailleur hanger and ensure it's straight. It might be easier to see if you just take the derailleur off. Hold up a straight edge to it if your eyes are playing tricks on you.

I'll bet you that the cage is bent off camber. This will cause the pulleys not to line up correctly with the cassette teeth.

If everything is good to go, put it all back on. Dial in your barrels and start over. There are plenty of online resources for this if you aren't sure of the process. It doesn't take very long and usually makes little problems disappear. Sometimes things don't sit right, so it helps just to start over if there's a persistent problem that won't go away.

Hope you get it fixed! Ghost shifting is my most hated drive train dilemma, especially on climbs.
    If the rig made the rider, I'd be pro...

mtbr member
    I'm thinking cable tension over anything else at this point. Since the cassette and chain were just replaced, they would have had to readjust the shifting and probably just didn't get it right.

Here is a document on the Park Tools site that will help you get the adjustment done. Don't mess with your limit screws, just the cable tension. Do the adjustments in quarter turns
    :wq

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Okay went through this with my 04 stump fsr. Started with a new xt cassette and sram chain. Alls good right? Nope. Switched to an xt chain because the sram got eaten and was full of stiff links? Still didn't work. I also at some point replaced the middle ring but that didn't really impact anything. Had the paws in the rear mavic crossland replaced. Still didn't do the trick. Threw the cassette out got another xt this time a 32 because that is all they had and that did it finally. I am thinking that on my bike a bad paw from the cheesey crossland hub somehow had an effect on the new cassette. Just a theory.

bg.
    mtbr member
    Check the housing under the bottom bracket. if it's too short, it'll ghost shift as you bob the suspension, but otherwise shift perfectly on the stand

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Sounds like a problem with the front rings. Check if they are in alignment (just for kicks )
    Riding and loving it