Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Getting a Hardrock...should I wait and get the sport?

I'm going to drop the hammer on a 11 Hardrock Disc but I was wondering how much better the Hardrock Sport Disc is? Should I go ahead and get the Sport or get the Disc and upgrade the drive train if and when it breaks? I'm a newb to all of this so if you could tell me exactly what the diffrence is I'd appreciate it...

Thanks!

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    The differences include an 8speed cassette over the 7 speed, much better disc brakes(bb5s over Tectro), a lockout on the fork - which can be usefull if you plan on hitting the streets especially.

IMO, I'd get the sport. If you stick with mountain biking enough, you'll likely upgrade all the parts that distinguish the sport disc from the regular disc anyway(or just buy a new bike all together), but you'll be in much better shape from the beginning.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn
    The differences include an 8speed cassette over the 7 speed, much better disc brakes(bb5s over Tectro), a lockout on the fork - which can be usefull if you plan on hitting the streets especially.

IMO, I'd get the sport. If you stick with mountain biking enough, you'll likely upgrade all the parts that distinguish the sport disc from the regular disc anyway(or just buy a new bike all together), but you'll be in much better shape from the beginning.
    Thanks for the response. I was aware of the 8 vs 7 but did NOT know about the better disc brakes and the lock out. Knowing that now it looks like it's a no brianer.

Thanks...

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    That black frame looks super sweet IMO too

mtbr member
    I got the Sport Disc 29er and must say that I have already got rid of the 8 speed cassette for a 9 speed, changed out the rear derailleur to an sram x9, changed out the trigger shifter for it as well, put on bar ends, changed the chain, just changed out the stem and tires are next. It is inevidable that you will start making changes to the bike...and eventually, your bike will become a different bike all together. First thing to make sure of is that the frame fits you right...then all else falls into place.

good luck
    Protect Extreme Sports Athletes - Extreme Sports Protection
    Real Estate - Tampa Foreclosures

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rmasse10
    I got the Sport Disc 29er and must say that I have already got rid of the 8 speed cassette for a 9 speed, changed out the rear derailleur to an sram x9, changed out the trigger shifter for it as well, put on bar ends, changed the chain, just changed out the stem and tires are next. It is inevidable that you will start making changes to the bike...and eventually, your bike will become a different bike all together. First thing to make sure of is that the frame fits you right...then all else falls into place.

good luck

Thats what I'm afraid of....I have to mod everything! I just can't help myself!

SuPrBuGmAn...your right...That black frame does look pretty sweet!

So it looks like I can get a hardrock Sport Disc for 580 plus tax from a LBS....does that sound about right? The guy said it comes with a lifetime warranty and lifetime tune ups...but they still cost $50

I've also found this place http://bikebarn.com/product/speciali...sc-72431-1.htm which is in Houston...I'm there at least once a month...

thoughts....

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    $580 seems to be about $10 less than msrp, so its not bad... I think most Spec dealers just sell at msrp.

If you want to save a bit of money, you can try to find a '10 model bike on clearance.

The frames are warranted by Specialized, and shouldn't cost you a thing. The tuneup deal is between you and the LBS. My LBS didn't charge extra for free minor tuneups, for life.

aL1
    mtbr member
    I went from an '09 Hardrock to an '09 Hardrock Sport Disc...

Get the Sport Disc
    '09 Hardrock Sport Disc
    '06 Schwinn Aluminum Comp [R.I.P.]

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by aL1
    I went from an '09 Hardrock to an '09 Hardrock Sport Disc...

Get the Sport Disc

I've been fully convinced to go ahead with the Sport Disc...how much more would I be looking at for a 29er? And what are yalls thoughts on those?

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    '11 will cost you $630-640 for the sport disc version. My LBS is blowing out the '10 for less than $500. I'd never go back to 26" rims... lovin it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Well I went ahead and bought the 26in Hardrock Sport Disc...should be here next week! I can't wait!

Cthulhu fhtagn
    my LBS still had 2010 model HR sport disc 29" they want $550
    Specialized HardRock 29er
    Nashbar 29er SS

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    That black frame looks super sweet IMO too
    I got a black 11 Crosstrail Sport Disc and love how it looks. Nothing flashy at all but up close then it looks nice. Laying it down off the trails and it almost blends in. Now if I could fade away too, lol.

Yeah go for the Sport. Don't they make a Pro HR--that be over kill for a newbie, IMO

So far my brakes seem alright. They do what I ask of them, seems smooth enough also. But then I haven't ridden a bike for 30 years, age 15 I moved up to mopeds, oh my old moped would had loved those trails

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    I don't think the Pro is available in the US

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    shop some close out sales. becuase I just picked up 2010 hardrock sport disc. with the bb5 brakes and lock out front shocks. for 375 out the door. I thought that was a pretty good deal.

mtbr member
    !!!! $375 out the door, thats a good bit under their cost, thats an insanely good price, in fact I honestly don't believe you could get it that cheap. Let me know what shop it was as I'll order a pair from them and resell them online for $500 each.

I have almost swapped out all the parts that differentiated mine from the sport version, knowing what I know now I'm glad I didn't spend the premium on the sport model honestly.
    Save the money and shop for a good second hand fork or pick up one of the Tora's from somewhere like price point for $180.
    I replaced stuff as it failed and I have components that are better than what comes on the Rockhopper now. Once I throw some BB7's on it and a truvativ stylo 1.1 crank i'll have a stellar bike for about $1,200.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    yeah they had a huge sale for all there 2010's. so yeah 375 out the door. bought it saturday and I've ridden it pretty much everyday. but ya think about it. when it comes down to it. would they rather lose a little bit off the top or have to the the taxes on it and still loose off the top becuase it being last years model. they had some killer prices on some stuff. 1500 off on the higher end tri bikes.

cougarbait
    you should skip both and get a rockhopper
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Lambdamaster is right, if you think you are going to ride the bike regularly and this is going to stick than spend more upfront on a nicer equipped rockhopper, I should have done that when I bought mine but I didn't want to spend that much on a new hobby only to find it collecting dust a couple months later.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    that is why I also went so cheap for first bike becuase I was sure. I have a mid level road bike that I ride often didn't know I was going to have the same passion. but lucky me I do.

I'm pretty satified with my hardrock.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    There isnt' much difference between the HR and RH anyway, slightly lighter frame. Upgrade the components with money saved and the difference gets even less significant.

Buying initially, the Rockhopper makes sense if you're OK with dumping that kinda cash. After buying a Hardrock, it really makes none. If you upgrade from a Hardrock, you should go Stumpjumper at a minimum IMO.

cougarbait
    There isnt' much difference between the HR and RH anyway, slightly lighter frame. Upgrade the components with money saved and the difference gets even less significant.

Buying initially, the Rockhopper makes sense if you're OK with dumping that kinda cash. After buying a Hardrock, it really makes none. If you upgrade from a Hardrock, you should go Stumpjumper at a minimum IMO.
    I agree on the second point, but there is significant difference between the HR and RH.
    Mainly, the RH frames are direct clones of previous generation stumpys. The HR frame is designed around a 80mm fork and you're pretty much stuck with that unless you're willing to compromise the design of the frame. The RH is designed for 25% more travel, and after considering sag, it adds up to a big difference. (~56mm travel post-sag for HR and ~70mm travel post-sag for RH. The RH has apprx 43% more travel after accounting for sag). This is assuming that you will even be able to get the suntour to a correct amount of sag as it will be near impossible to find a correct spring for the Suntour if it doesn't happen to come with the correct spring rate for your weight.
    Like RS darts, the Suntour forks are absolute garbage. It's not worth it to ride anything less than a 32mm stanchion fork with a real adjustable dampener. Good luck servicing it when it eventually poops out. Also, it is nearly impossible to match value by upgrading a HR, unless you get the parts-by-the-boatload deals Specialized gets. On such cheap bikes, upgrading makes little sense.
    Finally, resale value is near zero on HRs. If you decide the sport is not for you, you wouldn't lose more money selling off the RH than a HR.

Of course, riding a HR is better than nothing. It's just that it makes infinite more sense to go with a RH so long as you can afford it.
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    I don't buy bikes(or anything else) with resale in mind. I buy them to use for their expected lives. Upgrading makes a ton of sense if you aren't willing to spend the coin on a new bike everytime you want to update/improve something. By that same thinking, nobody should be buying a Rockhopper, they should be looking into high end stuff(which the Rockhopper is not), infinately more sense and all.

The way I understand it, the M4 alloy trickled down to the Rockhopper, as opposed to the A1 it used to be made from. Aside from that, its not a copy. The Rockhoppers and Hardrocks geometries are more geared towards comfort, as opposed to the higher ended stuff thats geared more for performance.

Compare the lower end technology now and if you go back enough, it will exceed the pasts high end tech - so I'm not sure that dredging up models 5 years + old are even in consideration as a copy?

mtbr member
    x2 on the rockhopper

cougarbait
    I don't buy bikes(or anything else) with resale in mind. I buy them to use for their expected lives. Upgrading makes a ton of sense if you aren't willing to spend the coin on a new bike everytime you want to update/improve something. By that same thinking, nobody should be buying a Rockhopper, they should be looking into high end stuff(which the Rockhopper is not), infinately more sense and all.
    oh yes, let me go spend $10000 on a Flash ultimate. clearly, people here are saying for a limited budget, a rockhopper is the better value. Like anyone with the budget you are talking about would be looking at a thread regarding hardrocks. The HR is a kid's bike more than anything.
    No one said anything about buying a new bike for every upgrade. You should start with an acceptable minimum that is worth upgrading. Putting money into a HR is like trying to make a 90's ford taurus a racecar. If the Rockhopper had no place, as you are inferring, it would not exist. I suppose you haven't heard yet about the guy who won an elite level xc race on a rockhopper. There's a reason he didn't ride a Hardrock.
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast