Big Hittin'

Get a Big Hit III or stay with my Enduro?

So during the fall i purchased my first "real fs" bike, a 2010 Enduro Expert (and love it). I bought it cuz i wanted a bike that was ridable on my local xc trails and wanted to be able to take it to the bike parks (diablo/killington/whiteface). I put about 30 xc miles on it beore the snow came.

Turns out i like DH alot and am gunna make an attempt to be at diablo (its the closest one to me) at least once a week.

Now i dont have to much money to spend on a dh bike (demo is out of question), but i think i could scrape up enough for a BigHit III.

I know the enduro can take a hell of a beating, and rips pretty damn well goin down. i was thinking of getting the "evo" coil kit when its avaiable, and mayby changing dampening in the fork. the shock would add a couple pounds and id suffer on the xc riding with it.

I could use my enduro as my xc bike and a bighit as the park bike.

or just f' it and keep on ripping the enduro?

just looking for thoughts. ( i like buying things, somtimes that i dont need lol)
    Last edited by nokfir2; 01-25-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    How old are you?

Big Hittin'
    Quote Originally Posted by dogo
    How old are you?
    Irrelevant
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Personally I would just keep the enduro and see how it works out for you. You may love it though Diablo does have alot of gnar sections that may be better suited for a DH oriented bike.. I asked you your age only because your way ahead of yourself.. How do you honestly know if you'll really end up going to diablo once a week? What people say and do are two different things most of the time.. But if you end up going like you say you will then ****, if you got it like that buy the BH...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    30 miles? And that Enduro isn't even 2 months old! My advice would be to wait until the weather is good, and do a lot more riding and less thinking. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with what your bike is capable of. If you find that the bike cannot keep up with the rider, then by all means upgrade. However, I don't think that is the case yet. Having an Enduro and a Big Hit doesn't make a lot of sense, as the two bikes are so close in purpose. Now having a Stumpy or Epic and a Big Hit/Demo makes more sense. /2cents

Big Hittin'
    i'll be there once a week cuz i live an hour a way and have fridays off.

yea i noticed they were very similar as well. i suppose ill rock the enduro for a while. and having a enduro and a demo makes more sense.

somtimes i need people to talk me out of things lol.
    29er's are Goofy

Kid In The Helmet
    if you find that the enduro just isn't quite big enough for your park riding, you can always look for a used DH bike to beat the crap out of. just a thought...good luck
    Ride Hard & Don't Get Dead!

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by nokfir2
    i'll be there once a week cuz i live an hour a way and have fridays off.

yea i noticed they were very similar as well. i suppose ill rock the enduro for a while. and having a enduro and a demo makes more sense.

somtimes i need people to talk me out of things lol.
    Ride the enduro at Diablo before you make up your mind... If you are going hard enough that you are afraid you'll be carrying the bike down the mountain in 2 pieces, then it is time for a burlier bike (but probably not necessary yet unless you are pretty experienced).

In spite of some of the similarities, a true FR or DH bike is way better for most park riding than AM bikes. You will definitely be able to rock the easier/smoother trails on the enduro, though....

Once you try a bigger bike at a park, you probably won't want to go back to a smaller bike. It is what FR and DH bikes are made for-so much more confidence, better geometry, handles steeps and nasty chunky terrain so much better. I'd still say you should try the enduro first, then make up your mind, unless you just have money to burn.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Six Pack
    Once you try a bigger bike at a park, you probably won't want to go back to a smaller bike. It is what FR and DH bikes are made for-so much more confidence, better geometry, handles steeps and nasty chunky terrain so much better. I'd still say you should try the enduro first, then make up your mind, unless you just have money to burn.
    Agree 100%...every time I've ridden an AM bike at a park I've found the comparative flimsiness really distracting after experiencing what a big bike feels like.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Six Pack
    I second that. Got the chance to test ride a 2011 trek session and after going down hill on that, my enduro cant come close. I liked it so much that I'm already saving my money to buy one at the end of the year.

My opinion is to keep your enduro for the season and ride it everywhere and become acquainted with the trails around where you live. This would give you a better perspective on what you actually need. I ride my enduro everywhere, xc to light dh I do it.

Become one with your enduro and know it like there is no tomorrow, and once you have a great view on riding and the trails around where you live, then you can make an educated guess on what you actually need.

Plus all bike companies mark their bikes down at the end of the year just before the snow falls for next winter, so just wait and ride your enduro for a season and then when the bikes are marked down, you'll have ridden your enduro for a season and will know if that is what you want, or if you need it at all.

This enduro was my first full suspension bike, and when hitting up the trails I would always see the occasional dh bike. So I always thought I needed a dh bike to go that fast and to ride like them. Well you soon find out that its skill more than anything, and over a year later I'm riding just as fast and just as aggressive. Comparing what I know now to when I first got it, doesn't come close. So just be patient, keep an open mind and remember that it is skill over bike.

Big Hittin'
    aaahhh so confused.

just think every weekend in the park will def beat up my enduro.
    29er's are Goofy

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    aaahhh so confused.

just think every weekend in the park will def beat up my enduro.
    And you'll be thinking about how your Enduro is getting thrashed instead of just ripping on a bike that was meant for that terrain.

Pee's in the H8teraid
    Have you ridden at a park yet?
    If not, then wait and try your Enduro and maybe rent a park bike first..
    You may not like park riding as much as you think you will..
    It's not the same as "Normal" riding
    If you do really end up obsessed with it, you might want to start racing and will have bought the wrong bike(Big Hit instead of Demo)

Big Hittin'
    yes ive ridden diablo a couple times. (not with my enduro)

nah, no more racing. ive raced moto and stand up watercraft for a few years. time to just ride for fun lol.
    29er's are Goofy

trail addict
    yes ive ridden diablo a couple times. (not with my enduro)
    What bike were you on... what did/didn't you like about it?

What are your goals (trails/obstacles/etc)?

How much experience do you have with dedicated, technical DH terrain?

These are the answers someone would need to even get close to giving you guidance.

I rode my 06 enduro there-It was built up a little and I had a spare set of "DH" wheels and tires. It was great on the jump trails and easier terrain (on jumps/drops, I was the limiting factor, not the bike).

Not so great on the ungroomed, rocky DH runs-singe blacks were generally doable, but challenging... double blacks like BMW, deciet, and upper ripper required some hike-a-bikes for me-the limiting factor was when it was rocky, steep, and off-camber and I couldn't maintain any momentum-partially a lack of my skills, but also a bike that really wasn't designed for WC DHs.

I went from the 06 enduro to the 08 SX Trail when my skills got far enough that I really knew I needed a degree or so more slack in the head angle and a generally tougher build. The SXT is still a little more FR than DH, but it gets the job done at the parks and still pedals OK.

But if I was going to keep the enduro and get a park-only bike, then a used sunday, demo 8, or some other gravity sled would be my first choice.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.