mtbr member
    Mar 2007

A gap in the Range

Does anyone else feel like there's a gap in the spesh range that hasn't been filled with the new line up?

I have a stumpy 07 fsr expert, and was kind of thinking about getting an new bike for this summer as you do . . while at work . . checking out different models dreaming of what could be, trying to get you through till the weekend. Anyway i was thinking ok stumpjumper 08 . . . changes to travel and geometry bias it more towards climbing (not that its poor at descending) but for me, puts me off getting one. Next thought, ok what about Enduro - 150mm front and rear travel is a little more than I'd use so perhaps not the right bike either. Split the difference, The pitch . . . However for me the pitch is a great looking frame but not the choice of components i would like and dont want to go through changing out a lot of the stock parts. I really like specialized and would like to continue buying spesh bikes but just seems for 08 doesn't quite offer my ideal bike. So for now i am gonna stick by my faithful stumpy companion.

This is not a rant or moan about how i feel the big S have fallen short, i think all their bikes are awesome, just thought i'd voice my thoughts after all this is what the tinternet is for, well that and dirty pictures . . . of bikes

mtbr member
    Since you mentioned two 150mm frames, get the Enduro of your choice, sell off the fork, and get a Pike Solo Air or Fox 32 or whatever you like for the front end.

If you want shorter rear travel, get a 7.875 x 2" rear shock. That will maintain the same ride height and geometry as the stock AFR (7.875 X 2.25") but will only give you around 130mm travel.

You should obviously check with Specialized on the warranty implications, but I can see no reason the fork should be an issue, nor the frame, in the circumstances I described.

Wait, what!?
    I dont think you would hate either the Pitch or the SL. In fact, I if you wanted a bit more then a Stumpy, I can only imagine that you would love them! Replacing parts as they wear out isnt a bad idea. I think a Pitch with all XT stuff would be pretty sweet!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by broom broom
    Does anyone else feel like there's a gap in the spesh range that hasn't been filled with the new line up?

I have a stumpy 07 fsr expert, and was kind of thinking about getting an new bike for this summer as you do . . while at work . . checking out different models dreaming of what could be, trying to get you through till the weekend. Anyway i was thinking ok stumpjumper 08 . . . changes to travel and geometry bias it more towards climbing (not that its poor at descending) but for me, puts me off getting one. Next thought, ok what about Enduro - 150mm front and rear travel is a little more than I'd use so perhaps not the right bike either. Split the difference, The pitch . . . However for me the pitch is a great looking frame but not the choice of components i would like and dont want to go through changing out a lot of the stock parts. I really like specialized and would like to continue buying spesh bikes but just seems for 08 doesn't quite offer my ideal bike. So for now i am gonna stick by my faithful stumpy companion.

This is not a rant or moan about how i feel the big S have fallen short, i think all their bikes are awesome, just thought i'd voice my thoughts after all this is what the tinternet is for, well that and dirty pictures . . . of bikes
    I have the same bike as you - it's great bike. I'm thinking of a new bike too, but I rekon the Spesh has the suspension covered for me (no need for more travel for me)...... sooo my next bike will be a fully rigid 29er, something totally different - I'll have 2 two totally different rides to choose from If I feel like changing the Spesh - I'll put a RP23 on it and get a little more travel, but mainly to get away from the Brain - which doesn't work to well.

DSG
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by broom broom

I would advise that you test ride an Enduro. It looks like a big bike, but doesn't ride like one. It is an extremely capable all round machine.

mtbr member
    I'm in the same boat. I've got an '07 Stumpy Expert and love it but am enjoying riding more and more AM and feel like 140 in the rear would be a benefit for me. I've had 3 Spesh bikes now and have really loved them all but can't find anything with 140 in the rear from them. I've considered an Enduro SL but still want to be able to efficiently pedal and climb some too. SO, I'm considering a Santa Cruz LT2 for my next ride.....
    2010 SC Blur XCc

mtbr member
    The Enduro SL climbs almost as well as a stumpjumper. fa real. Especially since you can lock the front fork down to 4 inches. Combine that with the longer than typical wheel base and you've got a bike that that doesn't have problems with the front end coming up---even on really steep climbs.

Members who have read this thread: 0