Mulleticious

Futureshock S140 knocking noise

I have a 2010 Futureshock S140 on a SJ FSR 2010 Pro carbon set up. Fork (and shock) was away for a service with Spesh recently, and I've only done a few hours on it since then.

I have a knocking noise that I think is coming from the fork when I get into rough ground. It is quite loud and disconcerting, but I can't find anything loose or wrong with the bike otherwise.

Due for a big trip abroad on it soon so want to get it sorted out, but can't afford to pay the LBS another 200. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Is the fork topping out on the rebound?

mtbr member
    Think resetting your negative spring...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    They can tend to top out a bit, especially when new, and after a service. Try slowing the rebound down a bit which may help.

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin6 View Post
    Is the fork topping out on the rebound?
    By "topping out" do you mean achieving full travel? If so, no, that's not the cause of the noise, which is more of a persistent knocking sound rather than a just happening once in a while.

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Brazilian View Post
    Think resetting your negative spring...
    How would I do that?

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete N View Post
    They can tend to top out a bit, especially when new, and after a service. Try slowing the rebound down a bit which may help.
    OK thanks Pete - I'll try that

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spencerfrater1 View Post
    How would I do that?
    You'd have to take the fork apart. Unless you're very, very comfortable working on these things, I suggest taking it into your dealer for service. The more accommodating Specialized dealers will swap out your fork on the spot (Specialized offers an exchange program).

The rebound solution simply masks the issue; it does not fix it.

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Brazilian View Post
    You'd have to take the fork apart. Unless you're very, very comfortable working on these things, I suggest taking it into your dealer for service. The more accommodating Specialized dealers will swap out your fork on the spot (Specialized offers an exchange program).

The rebound solution simply masks the issue; it does not fix it.
    I can't believe this - it has just come back from a 200 suspension service!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by spencerfrater1 View Post
    I can't believe this - it has just come back from a 200 suspension service!
    Contact Specialized Uk and speak to the suspension tech, number 2 on the phone option. They will sort the issue and am pretty sure that they won't charge especially as you just had it done . You can send the fork to them directly and have it back within a week.

DGC
    mtbr member

top out clunk

Not many shops even know how to reset the negative spring on these forks. It is an internal thing, not as easy as pumping more or less neg. pressure in a Rock Shox. It takes a tear down, though easy, and resetting what Specialized calls the "gulp" setting. Once done it takes care of the top out. I have done it many times, lasts a season most of the time, and only once seen a fork come back in less than 4 months before needing it done again. That service should be around $40 or less in US. If too much or a lot of gulp setting is set, there will be more form dive.
    If this was done correctly, and still clunks at the top of the stroke, then you might have a bad or needing service damper.
    OUCH...!!!!!!