Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Future of Stumpjumper FSR???

Hi

Does anybody know (besides Specialized factory staff that is) if we're going to see Stumpy FSR's 2008 with extended travel + other tweaks? Maybe 130mm travel FSR?

Reason I'm asking is that I'm very interested about getting an FSR pretty soon, but I don't want to get myself a model that's immediately updated... See the Santa Cruz -forum Heckler discussions for reference...

Happy trails!

mtbr member
    I hope not!!! IMO they need to reintroduce the 4x4 travel stumpy. Market it as an endurance bike like cannondale did the rush. Of course now that they've gone to m5 and a brain me thinks once I've run my epic into the ground I'll be getting a stumpy.
    You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I agree on the 4x4 comment. I like the my stumpy w/brain but I miss my 04 fsr comp. I just don't need the extra 20 mm. The brain is cool however.

mtbr member
    For me, I would like to see a 140x140 Stumpy. What would make this even better is a Talas up front for 100/120/140 operation and a adjustable link in the rear to satisfy both worlds.

Boulder, CO

The 2008 SJ FSR will be a modified Enduro SL

Take a look at racerphil's setup and I think you will get an idea of the 2008 SJ FSR.

http://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/enduro-sl-thread-265987-22.html#post2693506
    Rides:

Mountain:

2007 Specialized S-Works Enduro SL Carbon
    2000 Specialized S-Works FSR XC

Road:

2006 Pinarello Paris Carbon
    1987 Ciocc

Transports:

2004 BMW M3 Convertible
    1988 BMW M6
    1974 BMW 2002 tii

MTB'er
    Sep 2005
    If they are going to keep the Brain shock on the SJ, I'd like it to work as on the Epic, with a "full closed" position. I see no point on using a different Brain shock version on the SJ; it's just the same as having a Float RP23, but you save the weight of the hose and the Brain valve. I have a 2006 SJ Carbon and I'm seriously considering on getting rid of the brain shock (which, by the way, it's now on service for a 2nd time 'cause of air leaking problems) and installing a "Pushed" Float RP23...
    EnRodadera
    "I will not relent"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vercingetorix
    Take a look at racerphil's setup and I think you will get an idea of the 2008 SJ FSR.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=2693506&page=22
    I could live with that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hmm... that racerphil setup sure looks, lets say, interesting... =)

Looks like 'them Specialized engineers' have a lot to think about when speccing the whole line-up for the future...

-J

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Vesuri
    Hmm... that racerphil setup sure looks, lets say, interesting... =)

Looks like 'them Specialized engineers' have a lot to think about when speccing the whole line-up for the future...

-J
    You can say that again. And at 26 lbs, that could be the ultimate MTB.

mtbr member
    like that????

JSQ
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CHSAD
    I agree on the 4x4 comment. I like the my stumpy w/brain but I miss my 04 fsr comp. I just don't need the extra 20 mm. The brain is cool however.
    Quoting myself from another thread:

I couldn't agree more ! I have owned a Stumpy fsr 100 mm with a RP3 shock and a S-works Stumpy 120 mm with a Septune. My current bike is a 2007 Epic Expert with a Brain fade shock. In my opinion my Epic is the best Specialized I've owned so far. The Epic accelerates instantly and there really isn't any wasted energy. The bike is so much more lively than my former 120 mm s-works. I hated the mushy feeling of the stumpy. The Epic feels like the perfect bike for me. The suspension isnt't super plush, but it works when you need it. I had a Giant Reign between my Stumpy and Epic, and I feel confident riding the same technical trails with my Epic as I did with my Reign. Of course with the Epic, you can't hit the obstacles as hard as with the reign, but still I'd say that the Epic's suspension feels more sophisticated and controlled than the 120 mm stumpy. In my opinion Specialized made a mistake, when they upped the travel to 120 mm on the stumpy. I think they should have changed the apperance of the Stumpy, when they upped the Stumpy's travel and I think a rocker link driven shock would perform better than the current design.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    So there it is. Looks great. I wonder how much travel it has?

And can anybody translate?!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Can anyone tranlate that text on the link?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I found this in another forum.

Stumpjumper FSR 2008 = small Enduro SL

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Not bad, too bad that pic cannot become bigger to make the text readable

mtbr member
    Don't understand why they would go to that sort of linkage...I love the way they feel now. And I agree that increasing the travel wouldn't make any sense. How would you even classify a stumpjumper with that much travel compared to the Enduro? I mean they already have a long travel endurance bike why another on?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Well, surprisingly as it sounds, most trail riders nowadays prefer a bike with about 5" of travel and since the Stumpjumper is a Trail bike afterall, so a 5" will suit majority of the crow d better. Why they go that sort of linkage? My only reason is cuz they want to stop people complaining that their bike has interuppted seat tube which cause their bikes to be turned down by some riders.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Can anyone translate? Is it still 120 mm rear?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    It's hard for me to see what's going on with the seat tube. What is actually going on behind the shock between the BB shell and the shock linkage?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmoses
    I hope not!!! IMO they need to reintroduce the 4x4 travel stumpy. Market it as an endurance bike like cannondale did the rush. Of course now that they've gone to m5 and a brain me thinks once I've run my epic into the ground I'll be getting a stumpy.
    I wish they would bring back 3" race'y' bikes like my '02 stumpy, it's a great fast epic ride bike with just enough suspension to take the edge off. I don't need any more than that for XC riding but everybody has to keep up with the joneses and have more and more travel.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm

Looks very good, expect them by October?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    hmm I only manage to get to read the title whch says two brain on a singletrack mind something like that

ballbuster

I heard....

Quote Originally Posted by Vesuri
    Hi

Does anybody know (besides Specialized factory staff that is) if we're going to see Stumpy FSR's 2008 with extended travel + other tweaks? Maybe 130mm travel FSR?

Reason I'm asking is that I'm very interested about getting an FSR pretty soon, but I don't want to get myself a model that's immediately updated... See the Santa Cruz -forum Heckler discussions for reference...

Happy trails!
    ... From the Specialized guys at Sea Otter that the new Stumpy was going to be 6"

I dunno, that might be nice if it pedals well and they keep the weight down, and the bottom bracket low enough. I would prefer it if they could have a de-tune option to 4", like my current stumpy's 75mm/90mm option.

That said, I ride a 90mm stumpy now (occasionally, when I'm not riding the MonoCog 29er ) and 90mm feels good, even on big rocky stuff like Downieville. A bit more travel will be nice, but I think 6" is way over the top for a regular trailbike. I can't imagine how much higher it has to be to accomodate 6" of travel over my current 3.5". Part of what I like now about my stumpy is the low BB. Sucks for pedal strikes, but great for railing rollercoaster singletrack. I learned to time my pedals better so I don't strike them.

Is it me, or is the FSR effective distance even smaller now? That is, the distance between the rear axle and the chainstay pivot? The closer they are, the less FSR works, and the more like a single pivot faux bar bike it behaves. Too bad, I really liked the FSR thing.

MTB'er
    Sep 2005

Look no further...

Here you will find the Specialized 2008 MTB line details...
    EnRodadera
    "I will not relent"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast