mtbr member
    Feb 2007

FSRxc Womens Disc Brake Upgrade??

I'm new to the sport, and am looking to purchase my first bike. I'm looking into a full suspension bike specifically the FSRxc, and I was wondering if it can be upgraded to disc brakes, front and rear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    the 07 fsrxc's can. didn't check other years but I just converted my 05sj fsr to disc; so I guess so. you are left with the post mounts which can be ugly.

I can tell you now there is little to be gained by going to disc's. I went from the avid sd5 rim brakes to juicy ultimates and I reckon the rim brakes work just as well, if not better!

mtbr member
    Id never go back to rims... Budget, go with the Juicy 5s. They're the same as the 7's/carbons, they just don't have the adjusting knob. I don't know anyone who uses it anyway. Hydro brakes are SOOOOO much stronger, especially when you get used to them, because you learn to manipulate them into an incredibly strong braking power. DONT GO HAYES!!!! AHHHHH!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    You'll need disc hubs if they bike doesn't come with them...

mtbr member
    Yeh, I forgot. Aside from the actual brakes, you would need to buy new hubs (unless the wheel has a rim brake hoop and disc hub), but that gets expensive. It's usually about 40$ per wheel for rebuild in labor alone, not to mention the hubs. And if you have been riding on the wheels, its usually just smarter to go with new spokes, too. Might as well, right? So, cheaper to buy a new wheelset instead of hubs. But for quality wheels/hubs AND brakes, new with tax you're looking at about 5 big ones. But, that's my assesment.

Going for a ride......
    If you're keen on discs then the best way (most cost effective) would probably be to get a bike with them already on. At least do the sums before buying, price the system you would want to add and also take into considerationg what is downgraded on the disc version of your bike (like fork or derailleur etc). If they throw on low end disc brakes like the Soles and downgrade the fork then it may not be a worthwhile buy.

You can tell if your bike will take the discs though:
    If it has disc hubs (6 holes on like a flange off the hub basically)
    Disc mounts on the frame & fork.(most bikes will have these)
    That's pretty much it, the same applies wether you want to go hydraulic or cable disc.

My bike already came with hydros (Hayes sole) but the amount I've spent on upgrades (XT disc brakes, thomson stem & post, race face bar, bashring) I could have got a Trance 2 instead of a Trance 3, and in addition to better brakes and good components I would have also had a better fork and wheelset to boot. So weigh up the cost of things you are likely to want to change on your bike, and consider wether it's worth getting a better bike up front.

I love disc brakes, definitely won't be going back to V's. The Soles were ok but a bit limited in adjustment and pad wear after a while. In wet muddy riding is where discs show a particular advantage.
    energetix

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Ruffnrdy, don't sweat the hubs....

the Womens specific 07 FSRxc comes DISC READY with disc hubs. All you have to do is buy the brakes and have them installed! Most of the bikes in the Specialized line this year come with disc hubs regardless if they are equiped with them or not. There are exceptions but you have to go to the low end Rockhopper or Hardrock to find them. ALL of the FSRxc line come with disc hubs. So you DO NOT have to worry about upgrading wheels right away.

For a begginer I would HIGHLY recommend the Avid BB7 disc brake system. They are mechanical, cable actuated brakes that are VERY easy to set up and learn to maintain. But they give you all of the benefits of the disc brake with PLENTY of power! I'm a big guy, I'm 6'5" and run 230lbs and they work for me no problem! And you'll spend a whole lot less on the BB7's than you will on hydrolic disc brakes! And end up with allot less mess changing cables once a year than you will bleeding hydros. Just a better all around brake for the begginer.

Bottom line is you can upgrade to discs on the FSRxc Womens bike with just the brakes alone.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

just like a speeder-bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    the Womens specific 07 FSRxc comes DISC READY with disc hubs. ....

For a begginer I would HIGHLY recommend the Avid BB7 disc brake system.
    I didn't know Spesh used disc-ready hubs on some of its non-disc bikes, that is such a great move.

I'll second the BB7's. I find them much easier to maintain as rub-free, as compared to my hydrolic discs (Shimano XT's, which are great too). You can find BB7's for a song at BlueSky and other retailers, and they stop my nearly 200lb self wonderfully in all conditions, rain or shine. There are tons of positive reviews and comments on them, see the "brake time" forum.

One thing to consider, though, is that BB7's carry a bit of a weight penalty, at least when compared to top-end hyrdros. If you want light brakes and have the cash, check out Shimano XTR's or Magura Mara SL's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    3rd agree on the BB7's. Put them on my wifes FSR Xc and she liked them enough to put them on the Titus Racer X I just built for her. Also my first disc were BB7 and I liked them too especially for the $. Using Juicey ult now and they are great but more $

Going for a ride......
    I would personally tend not to spend extra $$ for XTR compared to XT unless weight really mattered that much.

If you're looking at the FSR XC as your first bike, it may also be worth considering the Giant Trance. Giant is often hard to beat in regards to value for money. And the geometry of the 16" frame seems very woman freindly in the way of a relatively short top tube (probably about 3cm longer thant the fsr xc womens) and it has plenty of standover for my 30" inseam.

I must say apart from the value for money - hydro brakes, not so much of an interrupted seat tube, great fork & components, and reputable suspension system is why I got the Trance over a FSR XC or FSR XC Comp

You'd be looking at $1200 for a Trance 3 with mech disc brakes (but a lower spec fork) and $1700 MSRP for a Trance 2 with Juicy 3 discs, good fork and components. So it gives you an idea - cost up discs to put on your specialized - it should be lessthan $500 easy, but also take into account wether the spec on the disc equipped bike is better or worse and weather it matters to you. If you getting an overall better package in the dearer bike then save up a bit more. If you would be happy with the componentry on the FSR XC and adding discs wouldn't blow out to more than $500 then go for it.

http://www.giantbicycle.com/en-US/bikes/mountain/6/

The FSR XC womens most certainly does come with disc ready hubs. Certainly is a great looking bike and I'm sure you would be very happy with it.

Last edited by energetix; 03-01-2007 at 04:14 PM.
    energetix