mtbr member

FSRXC vs. Epic vs. Stumpjumper FSR. Which for bumpy XC, few drops.

I am trying to decide which of these 3 bikes is for me. I have a Rockhopper and I love it. I have a Trek Fuel EX7 that I am trying to love but I may be getting rid of it. So I am looking at Specialized full suspension bikes.

It looks like the Stumpjumper has 120mm of travel which kinda makes it an All Mountain bike right? I only ride XC trails with maybe 3' drops if I ride fast enough. Lots of up and down and left/right, but all in all I don't have too many massive downhills.

I like the look and better pricing of the FSRXC, but every time I see a full suspension Specialized bike near a trail, its always an Epic. Makes me wonder why no love for the FSRXC?

Epic looks nice, but its just a bit more $$$.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The FSRXC is the lower end cross country model; compared to the Stump Jumper the frame and suspension are all lower spec'd stuff.
    The Epic is a Cross Country race bike and therefore is not suited to fun trail riding. It's designed to cover ground fast and so the ride is harder and less forgiving than the Stumpy.

Sounds to me like the Stump Jumper or FSRXC are the bikes you want, if you have the budget then go for the Stumpy. It’s not an All Mountain bike though, more of a Cross Trail bike

mtbr member
    Ahh. So you think I will be satisfied with FSRXC? Ill get the bike next tax return, so I should have some money but not too much. I don't want all mountain. I don't like the way my current all mountain bike works.

I like the electronic suspension on the Epic. That seems neat.

ride ride ride
    Apr 2008
    the fsxrc is going to be a step down from your EX7.
    the stumpy is going to be similar to your EX7.
    the epic would be good bike for you but it's expensive.
    you may consider figuring out how to modify your EX7 (which is a nice bike) instead.

mtbr member
    It's my understanding that the '09 FSR XC line will be bumped up to 120mm of travel. The spec on the Pro looks pretty solid, and I've heard @ $2200. Might be worth looking at.
    "Caught my first tube this morning....sir!"

mtbr member
    I rode the EX7 today with a 70mm stem. Rode much better. I had already moved to a 90mm stem. Maybe ill keep it. It just does not perform like my RockHopper though. If I start upgrading parts on the RH I fear the EX7 is going to be sad indeed

Super Fly
    I say go with the StumpJumper. I have a 06 S-WOrks and its 130mm of travel. Only the 2006 is 130mm. Its climbs like a goat even on 20 psi of tubeless air. Decends with the Pace of the Turner 6 pack guys. The FSRXC might be a bit too less of travel for you. How much you weight?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Agree with SDK

The ride/feel on a FSRXC and Stupmy FSR is pretty similar, except for some better specs/parts and slightly lighter weight (~ 1 - 2 lbs, depending on the model) on the Stumpjumber. But it's not that big difference, until you go for the carbon model.

Epic = more like a race hardtail with added rear shock - more agile geometry, less comfty, lower handlebars, more agressive riding position etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dnoyeb
    I rode the EX7 today with a 70mm stem. Rode much better. I had already moved to a 90mm stem. Maybe ill keep it. It just does not perform like my RockHopper though. If I start upgrading parts on the RH I fear the EX7 is going to be sad indeed
    What is it exactly that you dont like about your EX7? Is it the new 08 with the EVO link?

I demoed an 08 EX8 before trying the new 08 Stumpjumper Expert FSR. I really liked the Fuel and nearly bought one but decided to try the Stumpjumper as a wildcard, in the end I preferred the Stumpjumper so bought it as it just seemed better........for me.

I personally feel the Fuel EX is well worth persevering with especially if its the 08 version - Trek really moved it on with that one! However if you've really got your mind set on a change I'd hold out and get either an end of line bargain 08 Stump FSR when the 09's come out or maybe the new 09 FSR xc........looking pretty hot, especially as going to 120mm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have SJ FSR Expert 08, had FSR XC and have riden Epic marathon. and...I'd go with the StumpJumper FSR 08. Epic is more cross country, more like fast hardpack. rocks, some dh and small dropoff's are no good for him. in short - on Epic you can have barends. on SJ FSR rather not - it's a riser bar the FSR XC is a one step below SJ. better go with lower SJ than higer model of FSR XC.
    SJ FSR Expert 08
    Tarmac Expert 09

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SDK^
    The FSRXC is the lower end cross country model; compared to the Stump Jumper the frame and suspension are all lower spec'd stuff.
    The Epic is a Cross Country race bike and therefore is not suited to fun trail riding. It's designed to cover ground fast and so the ride is harder and less forgiving than the Stumpy.

Sounds to me like the Stump Jumper or FSRXC are the bikes you want, if you have the budget then go for the Stumpy. Itís not an All Mountain bike though, more of a Cross Trail bike
    Gotta disagree. I've had a Epic for the past 5 years and it's great fun. I've ridden the PacNW, TX, New England and now CO. Even took it to Moab and it was just fine. I do agree that the ride is harder and less forgiving, however.

That said, I just bought a Stumpy, too. While the Epic is just fine for trail riding, the Stumpy is better. Once I get the SJ dialed in, I may wind up selling the Epic; we'll see.

For the OP, budget wise, I'd say you're looking at the FSXRC. If you can swing the extra bucks for the SJ, I'd say it's worth it. Overall, it's a better bike. Go find a Specialized dealer with a demo program and take them both for a spin to see which feels best to you. On trails... not just around the parking lot.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Will to Win
    My first bike ever was a 2007 FSRXC, the lower end model that costs 1300$. I punished hell out of it... used it on DH and FR features, tho it wasnt intended for it. What I can say is that you CAN do 3 foot drops and it will hold on very very well. as for the epic and stumpjumper..i haver never used any of those two.

mtbr member
    The courses I ride are not wide open ares with small trail passing through. I ride in the trees. here in Michigan there are turns every 5 feet on the good ones. You snake up the hill, then back down again. Sometimes going down you get a jump or too, but the course never goes straight more than 10'-15' before a turn. At least not the courses I like.

So lots of roots and rocks. Not much flat hard ground. Most of the time your going up or down.

The FuelEX I think is just a bit too big. I bought the wrong size. Maybe I can find someone who bought one slightly too small...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Ahh. So you think I will be satisfied with FSRXC? Ill get the bike next tax return, so I should have some money but not too much. I don't want all mountain. I don't like the way my current all mountain bike works.

I like the electronic suspension on the Epic. That seems neat.
    dnoyeb, the Epic doesn't have an electronic suspension (I believe you're referring to the "Brain" sensor?). In simple terms, the Brain is purely mechanical valve, which senses bumps on the road to activate the shock/suspension.

The same Brain control is available on the Stumpjumper Expert & Pro models.

Hope this makes your decision even tougher!

mtbr member
    Man, I love my FSRXC
    I haven't done any large drops (3' max), and everything has been great. I have an 08 base XC ($1300) and am now upgrading the drivetrain to full SRAM X9 gear, and can't wait to get it dialed.
    Honestly, the price was the selling point for me. I needed a great bike that could get me riding again, and get me loving it again. I have about 100 miles on it, and it's handled everything I've thrown at it. I've upgraded to discs, Thomson stem and post, and now the drivetrain.

I couldn't come up with the $2500 Stumpy price tag in the beginning. But, I'm glad I went this route. Like I said, this bike has got me loving this sport again....and that's all that matters

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    From your description of the riding you do, it sounds perfect for the Epic. You say you ride rooty, rocky XC with a few not too massive drops. The Epic only has 2cm less travel than the FSR/Stumpy and climbs better and is lighter than the both of these. Additionally it handles brillaintly due to the geometry, which would suit twisting tight singletrack that you describe.
    I also have to disagree that the Epic is purely a race bike. I have ridden all sorts of terrain over a long time and never felt it uncomfortable. An All Mountain bike would typically have 140mm of travel to handle the larger drops so the 120mm stumpy, although also a very good bike is short of this tag.
    Also remember that if you wish you can set up the brain to trail tuned which gives it a softer more comfortable ride if you wish.
    If you were to spend all day in the saddle then I would probably say that the stumpy would be more comfortable, but I personally am out for 2-3 hrs so the epic is more than comfortable enough.
    However the price difference is quite a bit, so if this is unsuitable I would go for the stumpy over the FSRXC, due to weight saving and better shock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The courses I ride are not wide open ares with small trail passing through. I ride in the trees. here in Michigan there are turns every 5 feet on the good ones. You snake up the hill, then back down again. Sometimes going down you get a jump or too, but the course never goes straight more than 10'-15' before a turn. At least not the courses I like.

So lots of roots and rocks. Not much flat hard ground. Most of the time your going up or down.

The FuelEX I think is just a bit too big. I bought the wrong size. Maybe I can find someone who bought one slightly too small...
    That makes sense, for that type of riding, a frame that's too big would not feel great, better to size the bike slightly small for more agility.