Thread: FSRxc Expert

oh Lucky me

FSRxc Expert

This made me smile

Yesterday, on the way home from work, my Wife and I stopped by the LBS (to pick up a tube). Now my wife is VERY pregnant and doesnt ride, doesnt really like going to the bike shop cuz she knows thats where i loose money . Well as we passed the line of Stumpy's I threw in a little wise crack "hey honey, dont you think these are good lookin bikes" (hint hint). She comes back at me with a substantial "NO", I was shocked! I thought for sure she would like the subtle blue/red scheme on it. She said it looked like a 'Walmart Toy Bike' (i thought i was going to loose it! ) Anyways, I dropped the convo cuz I knew, this obviously isnt going ANYWHERE. But then she goes off and finds some new gloves for me AWESOME! I needed those. Then as im off B.S.'in with the shop crew, shes over looking at the FSRxc Expert. So i stroll over to her and she says somethin that blew my mind! "This one is better", i say "better than what?" and she comes back with "that blue one". (im thinking, AWESOME!) And then she goes on to say that she likes that white fox fork on the stumpy better, and the white seat bg seat.

We stroll out of there, she got new glasses, i got gloves and a tube, and i could tell she was thinkin bout that FSR.

now i come to you, spesh guru's....

what are your opinions on the FSRxc Expert?????
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

Ace Tour de Kids:
    Click Here To Help A Kid...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

What can I say? I love mine!! Only things I've replaced are the front rim when I taco'd it and got a new rear tire when a beast rock tore the sidewall.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    wait for 09, they really redesigned the fsr xc from the ground up

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Linga115
    True

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Linga115
    With that will probably come an expense though. You may be able to get the 08 a a small discount (also consider that the 09's are supposedly coming with a 15%+ increase). I think Spec. is still having their promo, where in this case you'd get $150 in Spec gear from your LBS.

Obviously a bit biased b/c I own one, but I absolutely love it. It is a great entry level (by comparison to Spec's other FS bikes, although I wouldn't call it entry level among some other brands) ride. The price tag as compared to their next level is nice too.

The main thing is will it suit your riding style? I've handled 3ft drops with mine, and no problem. That's as big as I go though.

I've not had any problems with "bob" on the X-Fusion- once the pressure was set to my weight. The Recon is a GOOD fork (Fox on the Stumpy is obviously better). If you get it, ride it for awhile and if you don't like it buy a closeout fork from Jenson or Price Point and put yours on Ebay.

All in all, its a great bike at an affordable price. Good luck!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Coop29
    With that will probably come an expense though. You may be able to get the 08 a a small discount (also consider that the 09's are supposedly coming with a 15%+ increase). I think Spec. is still having their promo, where in this case you'd get $150 in Spec gear from your LBS.

Obviously a bit biased b/c I own one, but I absolutely love it. It is a great entry level (by comparison to Spec's other FS bikes, although I wouldn't call it entry level among some other brands) ride. The price tag as compared to their next level is nice too.

The main thing is will it suit your riding style? I've handled 3ft drops with mine, and no problem. That's as big as I go though.

I've not had any problems with "bob" on the X-Fusion- once the pressure was set to my weight. The Recon is a GOOD fork (Fox on the Stumpy is obviously better). If you get it, ride it for awhile and if you don't like it buy a closeout fork from Jenson or Price Point and put yours on Ebay.

All in all, its a great bike at an affordable price. Good luck!!
    every company is raising their prices for 09. with that in mind, the discount on 08's might not be so big.

i would also like to mention that the FSR XC is a good FULL SUSPENSION entry level bike. if you are just looking at an entry level bike, you might wanna look at some sort of hard tail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I had an '07 FSRxc Comp, which was equivalent to the '08 Expert model, and it was an excellent entry level full-suspension bike. As long as you're riding more cross-country than all-mountain, you can't beat it at that price point.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Get it! And see if you can swap out for the Fox even while you are at it. You're worth it!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i have the myka (same just for chicks) and i love it. I dont do anything big on it but my mates who ride downhill all get on it and love it lol. They are light but durable bikes! GO FOR IT!
    Ride hard or go home!

08 Specialized Myka Expert

Weekend Warrior
    I like the 09 a bit better, plus they actually placed the shock on it like a XC bike is supposed to have. Looks like a "cheap" Enduro now!

I think I'll pick up an 09 (the white one) when the 2010 comes out (and hopefully get a good deal on it). I just spent too much money on upgrading my Rockhopper, so its gonna have to be ridden hard to make it pay for itself.

oh Lucky me
    Thanks for the input!!! i have a spesh 'hardrock' (when i bought, i just wanted something to "do") now that im 'really' into mtn biking, i want a FS. Thanks everyone! Will keep posted!
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

Ace Tour de Kids:
    Click Here To Help A Kid...