Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

FSRxc

2K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  SLX 
#1 ·
i am pretty sure im going to buy the fsrxc tomorow morning. im gonna get the basic, least expensive one. im gonna use it for mostly urban biking and some trails.I test rode it for bout 30 min and it felt great. anyone have any advice on the FSRxc because i wanna know im going to get a good bike for the money?

#2 ·
well if you like the bike great, i have one myself, its a solid machine, theres a few little things id change about it but bone stock its still fine, however if i were buying a bike for urban riding and some trails i would go for a hardtail stumpjumper, its tough, its as light as a feather and it can handle trails just fine, but thats just me

#7 ·
The FSRxc is a good bike. If you want full suspension, its a great place to start and is upgradeable if you get more into riding trails. The stumpy hardtail is a good bike too, but.... its a hardtail. So if you want full suspension it shouldn't be in the equation. The Epic that DF mentions is a lot more money than an FSRxc so not sure why that made the conversation. I have a FSRxc pro, its a great bike. Good geometry, fits me like a glove, and it handles really well. Climbs and decends good. Unless you spend a ton of cash, a fs is always going to be heavier than a hardtail, thats the tradeoff you get for having all those working parts. I say go for it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.....

#16 ·
samthemaniam123 said:
i went with the stumpjumper ht because im mostly gonna use it for college and getting to school every morning and general commuting
I don't know where you go to school, but I wouldn't use that bike for getting to class... I think your better off with a sub $150 beater that is as ugly as possible.

Good luck with it -

#17 ·
samthemaniam123 said:
i am pretty sure im going to buy the fsrxc tomorow morning. im gonna get the basic, least expensive one. im gonna use it for mostly urban biking and some trails.I test rode it for bout 30 min and it felt great. anyone have any advice on the FSRxc because i wanna know im going to get a good bike for the money?
For the money its hard to beat. I had one - its a great bike. Much more capable than numbers would suggest - all in all it strikes a good balance between fun and efficiency, and you can progress a lot with it. Depending on how serious you are you could aim for a Pro (that's what I had), mainly because of the better fork and shock (the other components make less of a difference IMO although hydro brakes are really very nice to have too). The Reba fork ROCKS.....as for the Tora....well it should be OK for the commute and light trail work....but if you have any intention of riding this machine a bit aggressively, it will come up short (and break fairly soon).

Good luck!

#18 ·
I wouldn't get it if you're planning to do a lot of hard stuff (street & jumps) with it locked out, like others have said in this case I'd go for a HT.
I'd say the lock out is more for commuting on the roads - and if that's what you were thinking go for it. Otherwise riding locked out on the (rough) trails could put too much stress on the frame.

I nearly brought one myself over a year ago, but at the time I went for a Trance instead. Now I'm going back to a HT.
If the FSR XC seat tube is still interrupted also consider that you may not be able to lower your seat a great deal (unless you get a gravity dropper or something) it was pretty much the only draw back in my view apart from the Trance having better spec for the money. Absolutely no regrets here though as I know either bike would have made me just as happy!

#19 ·
darkest_fugue said:
all this talk of the xc has made me think about hanging onto mine, i may put a shorter stem on it so i dont feel as stretched out, mid rise bars should bring the grips more level with the saddle, and a new fork, one thats stiffer and doesnt dive when braking downhill, all in time perhaps
Your on to something! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#21 ·
Yeah man...for commuting and leaving your bike out in public, there is no way a new stumpjumper will last long. Not only is a mountain bike not ideal for road riding, it'll scream steal me.

My suggestion is to look on craigslist and buy a $100 used road bike for commuting and save the stumpy for the trails.

#25 ·
Not to be negative, but check your deductible; it could be higher than the cost of a cheap beater rig. Beyond getting stolen I would recomend you take quick release everything off of it; lost of parts can get yanked. One other thing, I have seen cars drive over wheels and other parts get kicked in. If you have plans of ever leaving it outside make sure you lube and repack your hubs often, there going to need it.

Best of luck with it -

#26 ·
brendo234 said:
How do you keep your bike so clean???? I've had mine for 4 days (not years) and its covered in dust!!!

What's your secret???
Hehe its winter over here right now and I only ride my hardtail for commuting. So it gets its once a hear strip down, clean up and wax and is ready for spring. Keeps much cleaner than the new anodized stuff, which I think is a magnet for dust. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.