Thread: FSRxc 08 or 09

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

FSRxc 08 or 09

I am a mountain bike biginner and need some help from you guys. Should I wait for FSRxc 09 or purchace discount 08 model? I know 09 model looks a lot different from 08. I went to a local bike shop, and I think they want to sell 08 model... They offer $1,600 with $200 worth coupon (I can buy anything from that shop up to $200). My budget is around $2k. I really appreciate any commnets. Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Noone will be able to answer this properly noone has ridden the 09 yet. But with the expected price increases etc, you might get more bang for your buck with an 08 which isn't a bad bike at all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Wait until the '09s come out!

The '08 and '09 FSRxc's are completely different bikes. The new '09 is going to be 120mm travel instead of 100mm. The frame has been redesigned to be like a stumpjumper instead of the old FSRxc. I had a 2007 FSRxc that I sold this year and got a 2008 stumpjumper because the FSRxc didn't have enough travel for what I wanted it to do. I made a beginner mistake by buying a bike that was more than I wanted to spend at the time, but ended up being less bike than I eventually needed. Do yourself a favor and wait until the '09s come out, because you can basically get a stumpjumper in the new FSRxc, but for less money. Obviously, I don't know what the price of the new FSRxc bike will be, but it will definitely be less than a stumpjumper. Then you can ride both the '08 and '09and see what the difference is, and if it is worth the price difference for you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Its all about how you ride. I ride singletrack with minimal drops (2.5-3ft max) and lots of up and down. I have the Expert model, it climbs like a dream and its fast! I absolutely love it, for what I do. If your planning on needing more travel for bigger drops and more all mountain type riding, then it would probably be in your best interest to wait for the 09's.

Weekend Warrior
    I love the look of the 09 FSR XC. I want one but I just bought an 08 Rockhopper about a year ago which coincidently had the Stumpjumper HT frame handed down. I pretty much changed out everything except the Frame and the fork. I might carry over the wheels and the brakes to the FSR. I love the white FSR XC. They are going to be around $300+ more (i heard), but don't know yet.

Maybe I'll pick up an 09 when the 2010s come out...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Does anybody know when Specialized release 09 FSRxc model? It is around this time, isn't it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Probably after Interbike

mtbr member
    I'd wait until the 09's come out. If the 09 fsr xc's are anything like the new stumpjumper fsr's then they should be a sweet ride. I have an 08 stumpjumper comp and it is excellent all around.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Thank you!!

Everybody,

Thank you for your comment. I wanted a bike right way, but I will wait until a local shop start selling 09 model. Then I will test ride both models!!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    09s will be more expensive...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

price

Quote Originally Posted by grum@sourpuss.info
    09s will be more expensive...
    Do you have any idea how much 09 model would be??? I just hope the price won't go too high, stay around $2k... Thank you.

mtbr member
    whos got a pic of the fsr xc 09 then?
    Hold on 2 your f***n fillings !!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

website

Quote Originally Posted by G4VNJ
    whos got a pic of the fsr xc 09 then?
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/ar...s-17461?img=17

You can also google "specialized 2009 fsr xc".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaugk0614
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/ar...s-17461?img=17

You can also google "specialized 2009 fsr xc".
    thanks
    Hold on 2 your f***n fillings !!!!!

AllMountain+CwmcarnUplift
    Ive currently got a XC Comp 08 but its not up for the sort of riding i do. Its a gr8 entry level 1st bike if your just riding light XC but no gud for technical trails with big drop offs! I made the mistake of thinking that a Full sus XC bike wud do me well but the trails im riding it feels too light and feels like its going to snap at any minute even tho it probably wont.

By the sounds of it the 09 would be worth waiting for because with the longer travel and stumpy geo it would hold up on technical singletrack alot better than the 08.

The advice i would giv you is, do as much research as you can before you buy a bike so that you dont loose money when you realise youve bought the wrong bike for the job and have to sell it at a loss to get the right one. JUST LIKE ME LOL
    If your not falling off, your not riding fast enough!

Cube Fritzz 2008

GT Aggressor XC 1

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    the 09 xc's are out, theres one in my shop right now, its a little lighter than the old one too

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    If if you can find an '08 Stumpjumper FSR Comp. I just pucked one up for under $1600. I was looking at the FSR XC Pro, but was no comparison after I rode the Stumpjumper.

Back at it and LOVIN' it!
    Ride Hard - Ride Safe - Have Fun

Go s#!t...I'm not a fish

that link does not work m8!

Cube Fritzz 2008

GT Aggressor XC 1

DIESELindustry]that link does not work m8

Cube Fritzz 2008

GT Aggressor XC 1

mtbr member