mtbr member
    Apr 2007

FSR XC Comp - Suggested upgrades?

Hi there. Just bought a Specialized FSR XC Comp and keen to upgrade where necessary but not sure where to start. Any advice from owners or helpful mtbr folk would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

At present, specs are:

FRAME FSR M4 butted frame w/ ORE downtube, sealed cartridge bearing pivots, replaceable derailleur hanger, two sets of water bottle bosses, disc only, 100mm travel

REAR SHOCK X Fusion 02RC, Specialized tuned, rebound/compression adjust w/ lock out, 7.0x1.6"

FORK Rock Shox Recon 335, 100mm, fixed coil, lock out, turnkey damper, ext rebound adj, alloy steerer

HEADSET 1 1/8" threadless, black steel cups, loose ball bearings w/ seals

STEM Aluminum, 7 degree rise, OS 31.8, 4 bolt, black

HANDLEBARS Specialized XC low rise, butted alloy, 640mm wide, 6 degree up, 8 degree backsweep

TAPE / GRIPS Specialized MTB, dual density

FRONT BRAKE Avid Juicy 3, hydraulic disc, G2 Clean Sweep S/M: 185mm rotor, L/XL 203mm rotor

REAR BRAKE Avid Juicy 3, hydraulic disc, G2 Clean Sweep S/M: 160mm rotor, L/XL: 185mm rotor

BRAKE LEVERS Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic

FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano FD-M530, Deore, top swing, duall pull, 34.9mm clamp,

REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano M-751 Deore XT, long cage, standard spring

SHIFT LEVERS Shimano SL-511 Deore, 9-speed

CASSETTE / FREEWHEEL Shimano HG50, 9-speed, 11/34t

CHAIN Shimano HG73

CRANKSET Shimano FCM-442-8, Octalink Spline, 9-speed, replaceable rings w/ alloy outer

CHAINRINGS 22s/32s/44A 4mm thick outer, 4 bolt 104/64mm

BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano ES-25 Octalink Spline, 68mm shell, 118mm spindle, 50mm chainline

PEDALS Shimano 505 SPD

RIMS Mavic X117 Disc, 26", 32h, black, presta valve

FRONT HUB Specialized disc, loose ball bearing, high/low flange, 32h

REAR HUB Shimano M-475L disc, 32h, 8/9-speed, alloy QR

SPOKES 1.8mm stainless, black, brass nipples

FRONT TIRE Specialized Resolution 26x2.0", 60TPI, aramid bead, dual compound

REAR TIRE Specialized Resolution 26x2.0", 60TPI, aramid bead, dual compound

TUBES Specialized 26x2.0", schraeder

SADDLE Specialized BG MTB

SEAT POST 6061 alloy, black, 30.9 x 350/400mm

SEAT BINDER Alloy collar with QR, 34.9mm clamp ID, black

NOTES Protective clear coat, derailleur hanger, reflectors, owners manual
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Shifters and skewers. Get XT shifters and hope or salsa skewers/quick releases.

That bike looks sexy btw.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cramk isn't a bad idea either. Just wondering, if you bought the bike and you immediately want to upgrade it, why didn't you just go for one of the higher level models? you will end up spending more to upgrade it than you would have spent on a nicer model.
    Good luck.

mtbr member
    The easy stuff like pedals, grips, saddle, etc are usually a gimme just because of personal taste. As for me, the wheelset and cranks are usually what I notice more than anything else. The next thing might be the fork, but I am not familiar with it. I love the XT crank that came with my FSR Elite, and you can get great wheelsets on clearance from places like Jensonusa and pricepoint, or you can do up a custom wheelset and get all fancy.

I would ask why you are upgrading so soon, but when I ordered my FSR last week I briefly looked as this model and saw that the trim levels were a bit limited. Plus, wheels are so varied that one rarely gets a bike he or she wants with a favorite wheelset already spec'd for it (unless it's custom, of course ).

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I think that FSR XC '07 is well balanced bike. Not the best, but good fork, wheels, brakes (in compare with '06).

Upgrades: cassete (XT 11-34) with XT or SRAM 990/980 chain, carbon handlebar, grips (ODI are the best), '07 shifters (Rapid Fire Plus), pedals

The Other Dude
    I second the cassette idea, i personally love the pg990. A carbon bar is a really nice upgrade, and then i would save up for some wheels.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    I would go with the cassette... It will be pretty heavy as standard. The PG990 with it's red spider, hooked up to some wheels with red hubs would look pretty spangly (that is what I am thinking of!). Chain would be good along with wheels, tyres and maybe notubes or equivalent. Then you could head to Chainset (XT is REALLY good value), and then blingy stuff like carbon bars, etc...
    Building: ​Boardman 2010 HT Pro
    Current Joy: '11 Giant Anthem X
    Previous Joy: '09 Commencal Meta 5 VIP

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Being as you have basically the same exact bike as me, only FS, I'd upgrade almost everything, as I have done. Of course you probably should've just gotten a SJ and saved yourself some money. I would've went that route as well but really wanted the Mango color that was only available on my RH pro.