mtbr member
    Mar 2006

FSR XC Comp/Pro versus Trance 3

Hi Guys,

I was hoping there is someone on this forum who can help me with some feedback and so I can make a decision on which bike to purchase.

I have narrowed my choices down to a 2006 Giant Trance 3 or 2005 Specialized FSR XC Comp or Pro.

I will be riding basically fire trails etc. with no more than 2-3 ft drops off and as my skill improves I would want to upgrade the bike that I purchase.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by perch
    Hi Guys,

I was hoping there is someone on this forum who can help me with some feedback and so I can make a decision on which bike to purchase.

I have narrowed my choices down to a 2006 Giant Trance 3 or 2005 Specialized FSR XC Comp or Pro.

I will be riding basically fire trails etc. with no more than 2-3 ft drops off and as my skill improves I would want to upgrade the bike that I purchase.

Thanks
    I love my '01 FSR XC, but from what I hear the Trance is decent too, so go for the best build for the price, either bike should do the job well. One thing to remember, Specialized has a lifetime warranty, not sure about Giant.

If you're really thinking of 3ft drops, you should consider bigger bikes (Enduro or Reign)

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Trance can handle the occasional 2' drop. It has a very strong frame. Trance will feel snappy under power but not so much you get pedal feedback. Its designed a bit like the SC Blur. I would compare it more to the Stumpjumper with a bit less travel (110mm comapred to 120mm). I think the Trance is a better purchase than a FSR XC, but I would take a stumpjumper over both.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for the feedback All Mountain. Pardon my ignorance but what advantages does the stumpjumper have over the other two. Because as chance would have it, there is some good deals going on 05 Stumpjumpers at the moment. As all advice is greatly appreciated.