mtbr member
    Feb 2009

FSR XC Comp Or GT Marathon 2.0

I'm shopping for a new bike and I'm stuck between bikes. I want to know what you would get and why? A GT or an FSR. The Specialized is going to run me about 1600 but I can get a smoking deal on the GT for 1300 with better components and shocks. What should I do?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I've owned my 09 fsr xc comp for 2 months and I love it. I took it home for 1300 out the door at mikes bikes. The only problem I have is the fork rebound is stuck in the fast side, and the rear shock lockout is not working. Even though I have problems with my shocks it still fun to ride and have no problems climbing. I ride my bike every chance I get usually about twice a week on rough rocky trails. I just hope my lbs replace both my shocks since they were broken the day I bought them, I will take it to the shop in a couple of weeks after I get my fix.

mtbr member
    Your best bet is to test ride both and see which you think feels better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbatenga
    I've owned my 09 fsr xc comp for 2 months and I love it. I took it home for 1300 out the door at mikes bikes. The only problem I have is the fork rebound is stuck in the fast side, and the rear shock lockout is not working. Even though I have problems with my shocks it still fun to ride and have no problems climbing. I ride my bike every chance I get usually about twice a week on rough rocky trails. I just hope my lbs replace both my shocks since they were broken the day I bought them, I will take it to the shop in a couple of weeks after I get my fix.
    You might wanna take that in!!! Did you get their 5yr service plan at mikes??? I mean if it is a 09 this should be covered

Huh?
    I used to be a Specialized fan but now I'm a GT convert. There's no reason to buy a FSR (apart from weight) over a GT.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by airs0ft3r
    I used to be a Specialized fan but now I'm a GT convert. There's no reason to buy a FSR (apart from weight) over a GT.

I've ridden and owned both... I can't agree with that comment. I suspect many others wouldn't either. There's a reason that there are many companies willing to pay Spec fees to use the FSR design. And even more overseas that use the design that don't need to pay up...

i think the new incarnation of the FSR-XC is pretty sweet...

of course, that's just 1 man's opinion....

cheers,
    sr

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Yes, I bought their 5 year service plan which covers basic tune ups and maintenace. I'll probably bring my bike in for repairs soon.

Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by simplton
    I've ridden and owned both... I can't agree with that comment. I suspect many others wouldn't either. There's a reason that there are many companies willing to pay Spec fees to use the FSR design. And even more overseas that use the design that don't need to pay up...

i think the new incarnation of the FSR-XC is pretty sweet...

of course, that's just 1 man's opinion....

cheers,
    sr

The biggest problem I had with FSR was the lack of efficiency. The I-Drive is just so much more efficient. Also, the I-Drive just seems more plush (but there's no justifying that).