mtbr member
    Dec 2007

FSR-XC 02-RLA Tuning

Does anyone have any tuning tips for the X-Fusion 02-RLA shock on an FSR-XC?
    The one lever controls both compression and rebound with the last clockwise position being a lockout. I've noticed that it has distinctive "clicks" to it.

I really haven't played much with it, but wanted to know what others have being doing. I've simply set the sag. The LBS set the lever to close to the 6 o'clock position. I've noticed that I've used pretty much all the travel just on my regular XC trails (roll over stuff, no drops/hucks). I don't notice any pedaling bob. I guess I'm kind of surprised that I'm using up all the travel, but maybe that's what I should expect, since that is what is there for, right? A longer travel bike will just be "plusher" in that it would absorb things with a less "compression" dampening feeling, right? I would think that ideally, you want to set up the suspension so that you use all the travel on your ride, without having the shock body hit the linkage and without being so soft that it affects pedaling.

Since I'm not sure that the trails that I am riding are not aggressive enough to be using up all that travel, should I maybe dial in more compression? But since the same lever adds more rebound dampening at the same time, won't this slow down the whole shock too much? For what it's worth, I'm about 200 lbs and dropping.

Anyway, just trying to translate my car experience to my first full suspension bike.
    Last edited by OnyRS; 03-10-2008 at 06:19 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It does seem to control both, I just use it for rebound though really and adjust the air pressure to sort the compression. Up the pressure a bit with a shock pump (worth buying!), remove all damping and ride a bit, you should bounce around a lot, tighten it up a bit, ride again etc. Repeat until you don't get that bouncy feeling. Don't go too far though or the compression/rebound will be so slow it'll be wasted over fast sections.

These shocks don't have propedal so it's going to bounce a bit, on the plus side though mine's worked fantastically, way better than my old Fox Float. My one gripe is the spring in the damping lever is a bit strong, it'll loosen off while riding. That allen key slot would probably fix that if I ever remember to get around to sorting it

Go SOLAR...
    I have one on my used 2006 FSRxc. Can you tell me if there was a screw holding the black stop thing? I'm sure mine had one, but is missing it now.

Also what did your LBS say the black stop lever is for anyway. Is it a memory stop?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yes, there's supposed to be a tiny screw to keep the stop tab in place.
    The way it's supposed to work, you set the stop tab so that the red lever can't move to the "softer" side past your normal setting, but you can still move the lever to the "harder" side so that you can move it to the lockout position all the way to that end.
    Don't know if my explanation makes much sense. The manual explains it much better. Specialized's website has a copy of the manual if you don't have it.

I've been pretty happy with the shock, for what it's worth. Actually, I've been very happy with the whole bike. I've put a ton of miles on it and I think it's a great 4" trailbike for all day riding pretty much anywhere short of places with lift-assist.

mtbr member
    Doh! Wrong thread. Too many tabs open !