Thread: FSR Upgrade

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

FSR Upgrade

I have a question for you more experienced riders.

My current setup is a 2007 FSR XC Base model with rim brakes. I have a few months on it and love to ridethe hell out of it. Im still at a beginner level. I want to upgrade, the front fork and upgrade to disc brakes.

My reasons are the fork is OK, but is not as plush as some of the air forks I have tried out. I am already on my second set of brake pads, I seem to have melted the first set on a downhill ride. Im about 230 lbs and I fell the weakness of the rim brakes at times.

What fork is a good fit for this bike?
    I am looking at BB7 for the discs, but recommendations are welcome.
    Is it worth upgrading this bike or should i keep it stock and save up for a stumpy FSR?
    ( I priced a fork and brakes but they run $600-800)

z71
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I have a 06 FSR XC Pro and like it alot. I rode a stumpjumper and would not trade my bike for one now the way I have it set up for my riding style. You can get a real good deal if you look at the used section on this forum or on e-bay for the parts you want to up grade to. I bought used XT hydo disk brakes and shifters/levers. You can find some good deals on forks also.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The fsr xc has a pretty good frame to build upon since you just bought it. I say upgrade things as they break, wear out, or your riding style requires a better component. IMO, the BB7's would be an excellent choice. Extremely easy to set up and adjust, excellent power, and a good lever will give it excellent modulation (Avid Speed Dial SL?). The wheels that came on your bike should be disc ready so you won't have to upgrade them. I believe the fsr xc frame can take up to a 130mm front fork. A longer fork will slacken the head angle a little which will give the bike more stability on the descents and less twitchy overall. There are a lot of excellent forks in this range that will work well. The question is, how much do you have to spend on a new fork? Budget is important here.

A few examples
    Fox Float (look for 06 models with 130mm travel)
    RockShox Revelation
    Fox Talas (has adjustable travel)

You can find excellent deals on ebay and on the internet classifieds (mtbr, ridemonkey, pinkbike) as stated above.

mtbr member
    I have been upgrading my 05 FSRxc also. I have Avid BB7s that work really well, 7" in front and 6" in back. I know that the FSRxc will come with 100mm forks as OEM, as did mine, a Manitou Splice Elite. It feels like springs in my mattress. I knew the fork would be an expensive upgrade and just purchased one off ebay yesterday, a Fox F100RL. I think I should have up'd the travel.

I wrote Specialized about how much more travel I can safely put, and they recommend always no more than 10% of the original fork, or it may void the warranty. With this in mind, I picked the same 100mm travel. However, I reread the FSRxc handbook I downloaded off their site this morning and it states that the frame is not designed to carry a fork over 130mm. Therefore, it contradicts what the Specialized guy wrote me. I'm disappointed because I should have looked for an 06 Fox Float 130mm as Jeremy had also recommended. It would help my descents a lot more. Good luck in yours.

Going for a ride......
    If you don't have a big budget and don't need alot of adjustability in a fork I could recommend the Rock Shox Tora (only air & rebound adjust, plus poplock), I think there are U-turn models available otherwise spacers can be added or removed during a service to make it 80mm, 100mm or 130mm travel. Otherwise like previously mentioned look at the Revelation or even a Reba (115mm travel max though). Going from 100mm to 130mm definitely makes your bike more fun to ride though.

My very close 2nd choice to the Trance was a FSR XC (comp maybe). I reckon it will probably be pertty hard to buy a complete bike with wich you are completely happy with the entire specs. So if you're happy with your FSR XC buy (I would be) then go ahead & upgrade - it is the more costly way of doing things compared to buying a bike with all the stuff already on it (if you can find it) but hey in the end you get to pick and choose the parts and get to know your ride better.

And once you get disc brakes you won't ever look back!
    energetix

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I have an 07 Stumpjumper and the first thing I did was get rid of the float fork and replaced it with a rock shock revelation. I had a chance to put some miles on the float, and I can safely say that the revelation is head and shoulders above it. It is extremely plush, the lockout is dead on, and the compression adjustment works well. If you are going with a Rock Shox product, be sure to save up for the u-turn models ( I have the air version, but coil is just as nice). Being able to adjust the travel on the fly is pretty nice. That way you can customize the fork depending on the conditions (dh, roads, xc, ect.)

As far as breaks go, I have the bb7s on my enduro, and I like them alot. However, the juicy 5's on my stumpy have much better stopping power, and are just smother over all. There are some really good deals on them right now. What ever you decide, be sure to get a large front roter than the rear one. It will greatly increase stoppage....... Either choice will be a significant upgrade over v-breaks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the input.
    I am seriously looking at the rochshox revelation and juicy 7 brakes. I have one question, After checking out the rockshox website there appears to be a dual air and the coil version, if I am correct. Which one is better? I guess i dont really underatand the differences between the two. just want to make sure I know what I am ordering.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Those two upgrades would turn your xc into a pretty serious ride. I'll try to explain the difference between the coil and air versions of the Revelation.

Basically either the firmness of the coil or the amount of air pressure you put into the shock will determin its stifness, etc. If you want to adjust the firmness of a coil fork, your only option is to change the spring for either a firmer or softer one. The dual air version allows you to put two different air pressures into the fork giving you literaly an unlimited amount of adjustment. Air forks also tend to be a bit lighter. If you are looking at the revelations go for the Air Uturn version. Once you get it dialed in you will be in love. The revelation is somewhere in between the Pike (a more all mountain heavy-duty fork) and the Reba ( more of an XC race). The Rev gives you lightweight and durability---and extra travel as well.

z71
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    My FRS XC Pro came with the Rock Shok Recon U-turn and the shock is real nice. Alot of adjustment. I am running the pop-lock which is a nice feature to lock it out real quick. You should find a left over 06 Recon pretty cheap also.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    adding more travel ( from 100 to 130) is nice but with more travel your riding gets more agressive isn't it? so my quistion is, is the frame capable of this more extreme riding(AM/light enduro)

MTBR IN THE WORKS
    Quote Originally Posted by bxb03a
    I have an 07 Stumpjumper and the first thing I did was get rid of the float fork and replaced it with a rock shock revelation. I had a chance to put some miles on the float, and I can safely say that the revelation is head and shoulders above it. It is extremely plush, the lockout is dead on, and the compression adjustment works well. If you are going with a Rock Shox product, be sure to save up for the u-turn models ( I have the air version, but coil is just as nice). Being able to adjust the travel on the fly is pretty nice. That way you can customize the fork depending on the conditions (dh, roads, xc, ect.)

As far as breaks go, I have the bb7s on my enduro, and I like them alot. However, the juicy 5's on my stumpy have much better stopping power, and are just smother over all. There are some really good deals on them right now. What ever you decide, be sure to get a large front roter than the rear one. It will greatly increase stoppage....... Either choice will be a significant upgrade over v-breaks.

You still have the Fox Float that came on your stumpy? I'm about to upgrade the fork on my FSRxc rim. I'm alos looking at the 07 Fox Talas. Just ordered some Juicy 7's.
    Ride till it Hurts. And when it Hurts, Suck it UP