mtbr member

FSR noob - the sounds of my 09 enduro

I recently got my self a very used up 09 enduro expert. It is my first full squish bike and my first bike from the S brand. It was cheap and it fills my needs quite well, but it also came with a creak. It's pretty loud but I only hear it on rebound. It isn't the seat post, I don't hear a thing from the cranks. I took the shock off and moved the rear triangle (which is nearly new) freely up and down with my ears wide open and I heard nothing. While I had the shock off I saw that the lower mount does not rotate freely like the top mount does. I assume it should but I would like the confirm that before I start trying to pound out that bushing. Any thoughts? Any ideas would be welcome.

I know, I should have recorded the noise before I took it apart
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FSR noob - the sounds of my 09 enduro-2012-09-01_18-07-08_586.jpg  

FSR noob - the sounds of my 09 enduro-2012-08-27_21-38-20_676.jpg  

Specialized Enduro Expert 09
    Redline Monocog 29er 09
    Trek 6700 05

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The bushings you have circled, do not rotate, they are a press fit. If the top one is rotating inside the body of the shock, you have a problem there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I would expect that certainly the upper bushing should be able to rotate. How could it work otherwise?

mtbr member
    Yeah, I would think they both rotate inside of the shock rather then rotate on the bolt. Also, you can see I took the shields/spacers off of the bottom shaft and if you look closely you can see an o-ring that is sealing the bushing and shock body. If they don't rotate against each other, then why would there be an o-ring there?
    Specialized Enduro Expert 09
    Redline Monocog 29er 09
    Trek 6700 05

PokeyOne
    Feb 2009

They don't rotate very well.

And when they do rotate well, they are on their way to being worn out and developing play.
    I just honed my shock eyelets to accept the RWC bearings.
    BIG pain in the ass.
    I advise a small amount of rotational sanding and some grease to get them rotating somewhat freely. Then get good at replacing them and repeating the process. What you want is DU bushings that are continuously worn about 50%

The bikes do tend to be a little creaky. I find a light spray with some triflow and a wipe off of overspray keeps the pivots quiet for 5-10 rides or so.
    I know it sounds a bit janky as far as maintenance goes, but a full tear down and grease of pivots to a long time and only lasted 10-15 rides.