Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

FSR Fender Worth It?

For those of you who have had a chance to evaluate the FSR fenders, are they worth the money? Do they only keep mud off the shock, or does it also catch some of the crap that gets stuck to the seatpost and stay? If they are nice, where do you get them for cheap?

Emu's Taste Like Chicken
    Jan 2004
    Should be mandatory on the bike. But really only for the shock. Unless you have a dealer having a sale soon, I doubt you'll find them less than what is on specialized.com. I have no doubt it extends the life of the shock seals.

mtbr member
    Ill second the mandatory sentiment, for 14 bucks youd be hard pressed to find a better upgrade for your bike. Getm at Specd.com

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

The Other Dude
    Yup, the fender is well worth the $$ to save your shock. and keep other things clean.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    I never bought it to save the shock. Just to keep it clean and pretty... The things you learn in threads...
    Works very well, btw. I notice below the fender (seat tube) is splattered with mud, but the shock isnt... it does its job well

mtbr member
    Got one too--works great! Highly recommended.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war!

a.k.a Slacker
    Jan 2006
    Yup, definitely worth it to keep the shock clean, but doesn't help keep much else clean. But then again, what would you expect from a piece that's only like 4"

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yeah seems like mud real piles up on the seat stay especially on the front derailleur.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab
    Yeah seems like mud real piles up on the seat stay especially on the front derailleur.
    Yep - I will second that. The 'fender' works a treat, but the front mech is totally covered!!!
    Building: ​Boardman 2010 HT Pro
    Current Joy: '11 Giant Anthem X
    Previous Joy: '09 Commencal Meta 5 VIP

1:18
    Agree with others - for doing it's job (protecting the shock), it does it perfectly for the price.

...idios...
    I'm going to have to knock something up for my Big Hit as Specialized don't make the guard for it. I use a section of drum skin to protect the main pivot and BB area.

As you can see, I don't have a front derailleur, but this keeps a lot of crap out of the top of my chainguide. There is another piece that fits on the suspension link and protects the shock bushes and would fill in the gap you see on the first picture.

bhpivot.jpg

bhpivot2.jpg

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

Spreadin the love...
    I've got one for an 04 and an 06 enduro...sell em for $15.00ea shipped in the US...
    For 08:
    SixFeetDeepClothing
    Azonic/Oneal
    Globe Shoes
    One Industries/Sixsixone/Sunline
    Kenda

mtbr member
    had one on both my stumpys. a WORLD of difference in junk thrown on the shock and seatpost. I called spec and asked for $15 why it isn't factory equip from the get go and they said some people don't ride in mud, we like to save plastic and the environment, blah, blah, blah. Bottom line? if it rains where you live and you ride; you need it.

It's got my vote for a necessary factory piece, as it took 2+ months to get one on both bikes because they were out of stock for so long. Oh well, spec makes a damn fine bike, hard to beotch about them wanting to save the planet.
    2007 Specialized Stumperjumper FSR Expert

mtbr member
    If you ride in the mud, get one. It will prolong the life of your shock and make it easier to keep clean. I also fitted a Lizard Skin shock cover http://lizardskins.com/products/view...&page_number=1
    which makes it even easier to keep clean ;-)
    07 Allez Elite
    07 Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    04 Hardrock Pro
    05 GT Tour BMX

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by beer weasel
    Bottom line? if it rains where you live and you ride; you need it.
    If you ride on sand or dust - you need it as well

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nic92516
    If you ride in the mud, get one. It will prolong the life of your shock and make it easier to keep clean. I also fitted a Lizard Skin shock cover http://lizardskins.com/products/view...&page_number=1
    which makes it even easier to keep clean ;-)
    I dont think the Lizard skin cover is a good idea for air shocks that are found on the SJs and enduros. I have no exp w/them but everything Ive heard states that they will "sand" the shaft, not good for air shocks. For coils theres not chance of this to happening.

If you get the fender it is very effective in keeping the shock clean.
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

mtbr member
    I made my own for a few pennies. It is taller than the Spec fender and I put it at a steeper angle to "catch" more dirt. I have had it on my bike for more than a year now with no problems at all.

So Is the Spec fender worth it? Not in my opinion. You can buy a coke from the convenient store. It has a molded plastic container and comes with a refreshing liquid for much less than the cost of a Spec fender.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1
    I made my own for a few pennies. It is taller than the Spec fender and I put it at a steeper angle to "catch" more dirt. I have had it on my bike for more than a year now with no problems at all.

So Is the Spec fender worth it? Not in my opinion. You can buy a coke from the convenient store. It has a molded plastic container and comes with a refreshing liquid for much less than the cost of a Spec fender.
    post up pic if you dont mind? Thanks Ben

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i have one and it works...but i don;t think it's worth the money. just do what lumbee did and make your own out of a plastic cup or something
    Salsa Dos Niner SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben99r1
    post up pic if you dont mind? Thanks Ben

This is how my fender started life

z71
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Over $2000 for a bike and you cut plastic for a fender and it looks like you cut plastic for a fender. Next thing you are going to see is bra's hanging from seat posts to carry tools and things. Don't take offence I am just joking but the specialized fender looks like it belongs on the bike.

Nothing here
    Quote Originally Posted by wayneosdias
    I dont think the Lizard skin cover is a good idea for air shocks that are found on the SJs and enduros. I have no exp w/them but everything Ive heard states that they will "sand" the shaft, not good for air shocks. For coils theres not chance of this to happening.

If you get the fender it is very effective in keeping the shock clean.
    Yeah, those Lizard Skins are great for trapping in the grit and making sure it rubs against the shaft real good. $14 for a piece of plastic is worth it to circumvent a lot of hassle down the road. Do it man

Wuss extraordinare
    if you want to just protect the shock you could also use an inner tube to keep stuff away, I don's have any pics but can get some.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by z71
    Over $2000 for a bike and you cut plastic for a fender and it looks like you cut plastic for a fender. Next thing you are going to see is bra's hanging from seat posts to carry tools and things. Don't take offence I am just joking but the specialized fender looks like it belongs on the bike.
    Both are black plastic
    The spec fender is shiny plastic.
    My fender is a flat black which matches the Spec paint better.
    When I cut this out, it was never meant to be permanent. It just so happens it functions much better than the Spec fender so I just kept it on there.

BTW, my method actually makes two fenders. Want to buy one

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Carbon fender

I made my own fender out of carbon. I glued two thin carbon pieces, then cut out the shape I wanted. Useing a heat gun carefully I bent piece into the shape I wanted. Used zip ties to fasten the fender on my bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast