mtbr member
    Jan 2004

FSR Enduro suspension 02' vs. 06 ?

I had a 2002 Enduro Pro and am now looking into a 2006 Enduro Pro frameset. Just wondering how the FSR suspension has changed ? My 02' Was a really poor pedaller unless you added a ton of shock platform. Wonder how the 06' stacks up. Thanx

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Enduro Pro: '03 vs '06

So I use to have the 2003 Enduro Pro (white frame) 130mm. Then I cracked the seat tube. Specialized sent me the 2006 Enduro Pro frame. I just had to purchase the rear shock (DHX Air).

Short Answer:
    for aggressive AM/XC the 06 Enduro is the bike.

Long Answer:
    I really enjoyed the 03. It handled tight twisty singletrack, climbed and descended well. It weighed right around 28 - 29 lbs. I hit the occaisional 2-3ft drop with it, but I never felt entirely confident doing it.

Now the 06 is a different story..

I was lucky enough for Specialized to send me the 06 frame. I have to say for my style of riding (aggressive AM/XC/light freeride 3-5ft drops) it is the perfect bike for me. It pedals quite well. I don't notice any bouncing/bobbing. I think the DHX Air is a great shock with ProPedal and bottom-out control. It's one of those items that either you like it or you don't. For long climbs, 3+ miles, the 06 doesn't climb as fast as the 03; however, it's worth it when it comes to descending. The bike is confidence inspiring. It handles fast, rough descents like it was nothing. I'll hit drops, small doubles, ladders etc. However, there is a weight penalty for a stronger frame. My complete setup is 34 lbs, but I really don't notice that weight anymore. It's just an all around fun bike for me.

If you're into aggressive AM then I highly recommend the '06. It won't let you down.

A friend of mine, who is very much into Ellsoworth, Santa Cruz, Titus frames and doesn't like the big S, took it for a ride and actually had some very nice things to say about the ride. He likes his bikes really plush and the 06 allows you to set it up that way. Or you can set it up for a more firm ride.

Parts Spec:
    Frame: '06 Enduro Pro (large)
    Fork: '07 36 TALAS RC2 (48 - 50 psi)
    Rear Shock: 06 DHX Air 5.0 (165 psi)
    Shifters: '07 X.9 Triggers (not pictured but on their way)
    RD: '06 X.9 (med-cage)
    FD: XT
    Brakes: XT
    Chainguide: E.13 DRS
    Crankset: XT-M752
    Rims: Mavic 819s
    Hubs: Hope Bulb (front & rear)
    Stem: Thomson 5 deg x 90mm
    Seatpost: Thomson 30.9 x 367mm
    Pedals: Shimano 540
    Handlebars: Easton EA70
    Grips: ODI Rogue clamp-on
    Saddle: WTB Laser V Stealth Ti rails
    Headset: Chris King
    Tires: Kenda Nevegal 2.35 Stick-E (shown). Typically run Enduro D2 2.3
    Cassette: SRAM 970
    Chain: SRAM 971

bike: 34.01 lbs / 15.42kg

rider weight w/gear: 180 - 185 lbs
    height: 5' 11"

-enduro
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - 2011 Mojo HD
    - 2006 Enduro Pro (Some a$$hat stole it!!!)
    - 2004 Demo 9 DH
    - 2007 Titus Motolite