Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Upset 05 FSR Broken derailleur hanger-Frame Damaged

I broke the derailleur hanger on my 05 Stumpjumper FSR S-Works. It broke so close to the frame that the little eyelet the lower fixing screw goes through is bent and cracked. I assume that if I straighten it, it will break off. This seems like a rather fragile design. Has anyone else seen this failure? It seems like it would probably work ok with only one screw, but if not, this could be an expensive repair. I have only ridden this bike a few times.
    Last edited by chopper10; 04-24-2006 at 06:34 AM.

mtbr member

dESIGN dEFECT

For what it is worth....Spec has basically admitted their design defect. They have aluminum screws which are blue, free to all who have dropouts with this twin tiny screw design. Your LBS may insist that the blue alum screws are not available or they may state these are for euro market. This is simply not the case, Spech call them break away screws.Why they opted for this design in a few of their bikes to shave a few grams is hard to imagine. You will notice that their 06 manufactured designs no longer have this design.

If you do not wish to bend the metal back, you should push for warranty replacement under the guise of a design defect. Play dumb with your LBS and be nice....as they have the power to make this happen for you althought hey may "claim" that the corp office will not allow them to take care of you. Remember the der hangar should snap without damaging the dropout/frame.

Good luck...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I already brought the frame into the shop and asked them politely what they could do. They didn't refuse me, but the service manager told me the hangers are supposed to break low. He spent a lot of time examining the parts and told me he thought I hit something high that caused the brakage in this location. He also said this type of breakage (High) is very rare.

Bike to the Bone...
    It happened to me on a '04 Stumpjumper FSR. It's nothing new, and I think they could come up with a working issue for you. I had the seatstay replaced under warranty, but I don't know if I was lucky or not.....

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by chopper10
    I already brought the frame into the shop and asked them politely what they could do. They didn't refuse me, but the service manager told me the hangers are supposed to break low. He spent a lot of time examining the parts and told me he thought I hit something high that caused the brakage in this location. He also said this type of breakage (High) is very rare.
    The type of failure you describe is NOT rare. I have seen it to many times to count. If Specialized won't warranty your frame go this route. bend it back don't worry if it breaks and get the der gaurd from specialized it works like a charm I have one on a stumpjumper FSR and it is now strong enough to take maijor impacts and I have put it to the test. Even if you break the drop out when bending it back with this thing on there it will be plenty strong enough.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

LBS response

I just heard from my lbs. They told me that Specialized says it is ok to run with one screw if the eyelet breaks off. I looked into the Derailleur Gaurd and Specialized is out of stock right now. Has anyone run with one screw? It seems like it should be ok to me.

Bike to the Bone...
    I just heard from my lbs. They told me that Specialized says it is ok to run with one screw if the eyelet breaks off. I looked into the Derailleur Gaurd and Specialized is out of stock right now. Has anyone run with one screw? It seems like it should be ok to me.
    When it happened to me, Specialized told me the same thing, I run the bike with only one screw and didn't had any problems. I just was very carefull on the single ocasion where I had to remove my rear wheel.

There are other brands for the deraileur guard. I'll post at night the link, since I don't have it here....

mtbr member

Me Too

It happened to my 03 Enduro, and I just bent it back with two blocks of wood and a C-clamp. Then took a small screw driver and made the screw hole round and filed it flat again. I took the new hanger, and scored it with a dremel on the back side to create a stress concentration for the next time. I still think the design sucks, because the hanger is stronger then the mount, but I think I fixed it. I also carry a spare hanger.

Bike to the Bone...
    Ok, check this out...

http://www.northshorebillet.com/main.html

go to 'display case', and then choose 'hanger bangers'.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Oh so familiar. Happened to me on my 03 Epic, derailleur ripped and took the bottom eyelet with it. I've run with one screw for nearly two years now, but I use the hanger banger (google for link) to strengthen the assembly (it turns it into a box section type design).

I've noticed that the single screw does loosen over time and you need to check it often and tighten it up.

Did Specialized issue a technical bulletin or anything on this ? it'd be most useful in trying to convince my LBS to take me seriously :-)

mtbr member

John Henry Bikes

John Henry bikes in Canada has the Hanger bangers in stock. I ordered on for my ML with Sram XO and it didnt fit apparentlyX-9 and XO are different so they are sending me one for XO

...the wave won't brek
    This happend to me too on my 2003 Rockhopper FSR.

I sucked a stick and before I knew what was happening the der was pulled into the wheel the hanger did not break actually mangled the fram a bit.

LBS got everything srtaightened out and put back together for me.

I too carry a spare hanger.

Good Luck,

A
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight SPX-XC Kit

2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR-XC Comp

2006 Specialized Allez Sport Double

I ride with tools
    Bummer. You shouldn't have to run with one screw. Same thing happened to me and Spec warranteed the rear triangle. They must have replaced so many that they have changed their tune since then.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    It happened to my SJ FSR 04. I ran it with one screw, then recently replaced the seatstay when I had another accident... There were no break-away screws on the new seatstay. If I had been living in the US i think I would have got it fixed on the warranty.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    This problem sounds all to familiar! I broke my derailleur hanger on my Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc just last week. I brought it to one store and they said they could not put the hanger back on with one screw and that my frame was toast. Brought it to another LBS to get a second opinion and they fixed it on the spot! I took the bike out for a spin today and it seemed to work just fine! I do agree though, that this is a very poor design. Just wondering if anyone could give anymore info on the hanger banger and if it is a good idea that I get one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I decided to "revisit" this problem with Specialized and my bike shop and it looks like they will replace the seat stays with the new design under warantee! :
    Last edited by chopper10; 05-22-2006 at 07:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    those derailleur guards carry a hefty price for such a small item. Specialized shoulda have inlcuded those things with the stumpys and epics.
    Just bought one today, outta fear that another screw will break and leave me screwed out in the trails.I got fortunate and only broke a screw when I fell.

mtbr member
    Interesting thread on this UK forum. Turns out that Specialized modified the DR hanger on later versions of the 05 FSR and used the Demo8 system instead.

http://www.bikemagic.com/forum/forum.../74694/V/6/SP/

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by confuzshuz
    those derailleur guards carry a hefty price for such a small item. Specialized shoulda have inlcuded those things with the stumpys and epics.
    Just bought one today, outta fear that another screw will break and leave me screwed out in the trails.I got fortunate and only broke a screw when I fell.
    expensive?
    when I got mine specialized was out so I ordered one from a shop in Toronto, a little more expensive but well worth it, then I got my phone bill, I accidently used a phone without long distance service, the call cost $38
    6 mos later, no bent or broken hangers, and the deraillier hasn't had to be adjusted either

mtbr member
    ?? Purchase A 40 Der Guard?? That Is Insane, For That Price They Can Send You A Chainstay. They Made The Der Guard Admittingly Because Of The Two Screw Design Flaw. I Wouldnt Buy One.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CSPRINGS
    ?? Purchase A 40 Der Guard?? That Is Insane, For That Price They Can Send You A Chainstay. They Made The Der Guard Admittingly Because Of The Two Screw Design Flaw. I Wouldnt Buy One.
    my bike has the newer 1 screw design, but at $12 a pop replacing the hanger gets expensive, I think $40 is worth it, plus your deraillier doesnt get out of line so you dont have to adjust it

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    My 05 Enduro Elite Brain had the same problem. The first hanger lasted for 4 months, the next one 2 months, and the current one lasted 1 month. It's not broken, but twisted. I can ride the bike (until I get the new hanger), but shifting is inaccurate. The last time I broke the hanger, it cracked in the middle of the lower mounting screw and the eylet got also twisted. It wasn't twisted badly, so I just took the pliers and straightened it.
    Now I'm getting pissed with halfing the life of the hanger every time (the next one would likely last 2 weeks), and I decided to buy the derailleur guard to protect the hanger.

EDIT: A friend took a pic when the last one broke:
    http://www.mtbturku.sytes.net/images...s/IMG_3870.jpg
    Last edited by jeppe; 05-23-2006 at 03:19 AM.

bang
    ...but aren't the hangers supposed to break in order to save your rear derailer?

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude
    ...but aren't the hangers supposed to break in order to save your rear derailer?
    I worried about the same thing, but in 7 months no problems and no new hanger or deraillier

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I don't think this design makes your derailleur hanger more likely to break than any other design, it's just that if it does break it will probably take out the eyelet. I would suggest persuing the breakaway screw and or hanger banger.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast