mtbr member

FSR bearing maintenance advice.

Hi all.

Could anyone point me in the right direction for advice relating to maintaining the bearings/bushings etc on my '06 SJ FSR?

I've clocked up 12 months hard trail time on mine, and guess they might need some attention soon. I ride predominantly dry/dusty Aussie trails, and try to keep the bike clean.

I guess my first question is, how do you know if they're worn? (I haven't noticed any problems yet.)
    Does the performance of the bike deteriorate, or do they just need regular changing as a maintenance issue?
    Can I do the work myself, or does it need a bike mechanic?

I'm sure this has been covered before, but couldn't find a similar thread.

Thanks for any advice.
    Mark.
    ride your bike, ride, ride, ride...

mtbr member
    ive been wondering as well for my 04 sj FSR.

the pivot right beside the bottom bracket has a nasty habit of loosening itself. play develops in that lower pivot once every few weeks of riding, and its making me worried.

any tips for dis/re assembly and maintenance? i dont want that lower pivot to suddenly explode on me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Chances are you shouldn't need to replace them just clean and regrease them. To clean and regrease remove the dust seals (I like to use the tip of a razor blade from a hobby knife) them spray them down with degreaser. Work the bearings with your fingers to loosen them up and allow the degreaser to get to all the grease. Then rinse the bearings really well and dry them completely with compressed air. Lastly pump in some high quality waterproof grease such as Phil Wood and work the bearings so there's plenty of grease in there and pop the dust cap back on. Some times when you start cleaning the bearings may seem very notchy or frozen when you try to rotate them with your fingers, but keep working them with degreaser and they normally free up and are fine. If you do this and the bearings still seem notchy or frozen or very loose then you need to replace them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wushudrew
    ive been wondering as well for my 04 sj FSR.

the pivot right beside the bottom bracket has a nasty habit of loosening itself. play develops in that lower pivot once every few weeks of riding, and its making me worried.

any tips for dis/re assembly and maintenance? i dont want that lower pivot to suddenly explode on me.
    Use locktite for that bolt.

But you might as well replace the bearings, it's not that difficult to do, just be careful and think before you start banging on the frame to get the bearings in :-). An important wear item is the spacer on each side of the pivot. Just order a bearing kit now and a shock bushing, so you have the stuff for when it's time to replace them.

Make sure you have good fitting tools so you don't damage the aluminium nut. Loosen the bolt, insert a longer inbus key through the axle from the non-drive side for this, take it out, you may have to tap it out carefully, clean everything and check the bearings. Follow the other directions in this thread.

Afterwards, tighten the bolt properly, make sure you don't have any sideways play in the chainstays.

If you ride with a loose pivot for too long this will cause wear on the axle eventually causing play even it you tighten the bolt to the max.

I have replaced the pivot bolt and nut on my FSR04 once now, because of this play. But I've got to admit I did things with this bike like 180 bunny hops that may have caused this.

mtbr member

Bearing or bushing.

Thanks for the info.

Do these pivots run on bearings or bushings in my '06 SJ, or a mix of the two?

The dust covers refered to seem to form the hex bolt that holds the whole thing together.
    I'm a bit apprehensive about undoing the bold and stuffing it up!

It seems like a bit of preventitive maintenance is necessary, even though the thing seems to be running OK at the moment.

Are there any aftermarket bearings/bushings available that are more durable than the standard ones?

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by blackjack
    Thanks for the info.

Do these pivots run on bearings or bushings in my '06 SJ, or a mix of the two?

The dust covers refered to seem to form the hex bolt that holds the whole thing together.
    I'm a bit apprehensive about undoing the bold and stuffing it up!

It seems like a bit of preventitive maintenance is necessary, even though the thing seems to be running OK at the moment.

Are there any aftermarket bearings/bushings available that are more durable than the standard ones?

Cheers.
    All pivots are equipped with bearings. On the 07's the shock bushing is replaced by a bearing.
    There are no dust covers, these are just the bolts and there's no problem in taking them out to clean the bearings. Just be careful with these aluminium bolts and use undamaged allen keys. Clean the bolts, to make sure there's no sand stuck in the threads.

Yep, the bearings are fairly standard, but I don't think there's anything really wrong with the original bearings.

mtbr member
    Thanks again all.

I unbolted the pivots and can see the bearings inside, and can see how the shock pivots are likely to wear the fastest.
    Is it worth removing the shock and cleaning/lubing these points, as it's obviously exposed to the elements?

Everything looks good with the bearings. They don't look like they've been contaminated with anything at this stage, so I think I'll just replace the bolts and let sleeping dogs lay.

I'm thinking I sould resist the urge to introduce any lube into them at this stage, as it looks nice and clean in there, and don't want to attract any dirt.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    If the bearings turn nicely just leave it at that. You may want to clean to bearing, pry off the seal with a needle and put some grease in. Why would you replace the bolts?

mtbr member
    djska, what I meant to say was, return the bolts to their position in the frame, not replace them as such.

Thanks for your thoughts though.

How do I actually spin the bearing. Should it just turn under finger pressure while in it's position in the frame (after the bolt has been taken out)?

I'm assuming the seal is the black plastic ring sitting on top of the bearing.

mtbr member
    Ive done bearings on 02, 05 Enduros and 04 SJ, all pivots on >02 enduros and >04SJs are bearings, no bushings.

Its been my exp that the horst bearings burnout first, I wouldnt recc peeling off the dust sheild to add grease, youll lose the limited bearing seal and just add contaminants. I usually need to do mine every 12 months.

So long as you use a good fitting hex wrench there should be no reason to replace the hardware, a sloppy fitting wrench will easily round the AL bolts and will require bolt replacement. Dont forget loctite.

You can get the exact same bearings from access bearing on the web that you can from Spec'd, but can rebearing your bike 3x's over for the same cost.

check this link for bearing removal
    04 SJ bearings

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

mtbr member
    That link answered heaps of questions wayneosdias. Very interesting reading.

Having said that, it all looks a little more advanced than your basic regualar maintenance. Having the unfortunate skill of taking things apart that never go back together again, I might hold off for a little while, as the bike is running pretty sweet.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've just ordered bearings for my 04 FSR Stumpy. Was surprised to see how badly they were warn. There are nearly falling out. You could'nt tell this when the bike was together. You had to pull each piece off and inspect each bearing. I've just ordered 10 of each bearing type from www.vxb.com for 75% less than the UK price !!!