mtbr member

FSR 120 Seatpost range / Thomson Minimum Insertion

I've just bought a new Thomson Elite seatpost for my FSR 120 and am going to have to shorten it. Before I make the big cut, what sort of range of seat height are folk using? As far as I can determine, the difference between the hole in the frame (max extension) and the "stop" above the shock is 7cm (on my Small frame). That doesn't seem to be much range?

btw - I emailed Thomson about their "minimum insertion" line which is 10cm. They reckon that the 7cm marked on the Stumpy frame is OK.

Two wheels are best
    With the interupted seat tube design, you don't have a choice...

I used the stock seat post to get my saddle height where I wanted it and then split the difference when I cut the Thompson post.
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

mtbr member&ham operator
    Jul 2004
    I'm on a Stumpy Pro 2004.

What I did was I used my stock seatpost to get the saddle height I required. I then cut off the minimum required from my Thomson seat post to match the stock seatpost.

I just push my Thomson seat post all the way down and that's my ideal position. In other words my seatpost cannot go further down since it's already optimized for my height but can still go up if I want to.

73's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W6VX
    I'm on a Stumpy Pro 2004.
    In other words my seatpost cannot go further down since it's already optimized for my height but can still go up if I want to.

73's
    Err- why would you want it able to go higher than optimized? And not lower? Don't you lower the seat for nadgery downhill stuff?

Boomslang

Post Insertion Answer

Seat post insertion on all Specialized frames is

7 cm for Small and Medium frames
    10 cm for Large and XL frames

Most frames have a little peep hole in the seat tube. You should always be able to see the post in the hole.

Jake Wake

Quote Originally Posted by druidh
    I've just bought a new Thomson Elite seatpost for my FSR 120 and am going to have to shorten it. Before I make the big cut, what sort of range of seat height are folk using? As far as I can determine, the difference between the hole in the frame (max extension) and the "stop" above the shock is 7cm (on my Small frame). That doesn't seem to be much range?

btw - I emailed Thomson about their "minimum insertion" line which is 10cm. They reckon that the 7cm marked on the Stumpy frame is OK.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeWake
    Seat post insertion on all Specialized frames is

7 cm for Small and Medium frames
    10 cm for Large and XL frames

Most frames have a little peep hole in the seat tube. You should always be able to see the post in the hole.

Jake Wake
    Yep - thanks for that - I was just worried that 7cm was too little for the Thomson. They've confirmed that this is OK.

druidh